Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

1.One of the greatest lasting social changes of the development

of mass armies was the...
1.One of the greatest lasting social changes of the development of mass armies was the
A. breakup of aristocracies.
B. creation of national identities.
C. complete militarization of European society.
D. development of the idea of "total war

2. Mao Zedong's successor in China, Deng Xiaoping, began a series of reforms by urging his countrymen to
A. collectivize agriculture.
B. work for a more open and democratic government.
C. continue the policies of the Cultural Revolution.
D. get rich.

3. The San hunters of southern Africa weren't overwhelmed during the nineteenth century because they
A. were moved to reservations where they could be protected.
B. live in a harsh environment.
C. were protected by a treaty.
D. managed to effectively fight off Western colonists.

4. The Marshall Plan offered assistance
A. in creating a military alliance against the Soviet Union.
B. for the recovery of Western Europe.
C. aimed at creating nuclear capabilities in Britain and France.
D. that helped split the countries of the Soviet bloc.

5. Hydroelectric power requires
A. public enthusiasm.
B. large open spaces with high winds.
C. significant amounts of sunlight.
D. a large river that can be dammed

6.Many of Henri Bergson's followers were made hopeful by his writings because he argued that
A. we should accept our existence as the only possible foundation for our life choices.
B. God doesn't exist and everything is permissible.
C. we retain the freedom to create a future that differs from the one predicted by scientists.
D. truth isn't that which is real, but that which we choose to believe

7. A primary cause for the development of time standards for the entire globe was
A. a desire for uniformity.
B. the telegraph.
C. the railroads.
D. European imperial domination.

8. Constitutionalism is best defined as
A. the creation of a specific document or constitution.
B. a document that outlines democratic principles.
C. a doctrine that the state is founded on rules established by citizens and rulers to which all are bound.
D. a set of beliefs that guarantees equal rights to all the citizens of a state.

9. In recent centuries, when fundamentalists have gained political power, they've
A. shown themselves to be intolerant of other faiths.
B. usually stayed in power for long periods of time.
C. been remarkably tolerant of other faiths.
D. generally followed democratic systems of governance.

10.For the English philosopher Jeremy Bentham, social institutions should be evaluated on the basis of their
A. imposing minimal intrusions into citizens' lives.
B. ability to provide services at the lowest cost.
C. success in providing the greatest good to the greatest number.
D. concern for the rights of the individual over social utility.

11.The Suez Canal, built in 1869 largely by French engineers and French capital, was significant because it
A. connected the Mediterranean with the Persian Gulf.
B. gave Egypt an agricultural advantage by putting hundreds of thousands of new acres under cultivation.
C. reduced travel time from Europe to India from months to weeks.
D. connected the Nile with the Red Sea.

12.Who wrote, "Here is the slave, there is the master; there is the wealth of some, here is the poverty of most . . . Here humanity attains its most complete development and its most brutish"?
A. Alexis de Tocqueville
B. William Blake
C. Samuel Smiles
D. Karl Marx

13.Charles Darwin's theory of evolution threatened the role of religion because it
A. argued that ethical conduct need not be based on religion.
B. was widely accepted by most people in the nineteenth century.
C. proved that the Bible was wrong.
D. suggested that God wasn't the motor of change.

14.The term quantum mechanics refers to the study of
A. cosmology.
B. molecular chemistry.
C. subatomic particles.
D. astronomy.

15.The Helsinki Agreement of 1975 pledged its signers to recognize
A. the need for nuclear disarmament.
B. capitalism as the best economic system.
C. a respect for human rights.
D. democracy as the best political ideology.

16.Most of those who fear globalization worry that it will lead to XXXXX
B. cultural diversity.
C. a plural world.
D. a new Europeanization of the globe.

17.The British argued that the banning of the opium trade by Chinese authorities in 1839 was wrong because it violated
A. the rights of individual Chinese to do as they pleased.
B. Britain's right to do whatever it wanted.
C. basic human decency.
D. freedom of commerce.
4/15/2011
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Chris M.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work