Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

1. Which one of the following sentences contains an unnecessary

Customer Question
word? A. Why don't you...
1. Which one of the following sentences contains an unnecessary word? A. Why don't you leave before the crowd arrives. B. The snake raised up its head and struck. C. She left early, though he told her not to. D. Rich was angry, but he concealed his feelings.
2. Choose the connective that belongs in the blank. She left the party early. Next she went to a movie.----------she went home. A. Next, B. Meanwhile, C. Finally, D. First
3. Which of the following topics would lend itself only to a formal style of writing? A. Folk Songs I Have Sung, B. Psychological Effects of Nuclear Weapons, C. How I Lost 10 Pounds, D. Why Living in the Country Is Better Than Living in the City.
4. Choose the connective that belongs in the blank in the following sentence. I like to play baseball.--------, I can't throw a ball very well. A. However, B. In fact, C. For instance, D. Besides.
5. Which of the following sentences has a compound predicate? A. She raced along the path to beat him to the beach, B. While he swarm, she collected shells, C. She washed the shells and dried them in the sun, D. She placed the shells in a plastic bag while he dried himself off.
6. Which of the following sentences has a dangling modifier? A. When the storm began to abate, we went home, B. By the light of the moon, I tripped over s rock, C. The dog that is man's best friend is cat's worst enemy, D. On the way to the bank, the interest rates went down.
7. Choose the connective that belongs in the blank in the following sentence. Everyone appeared to be having a good time.--------------, my impressions may have been wrong. A. In fact, B. In other words, C. Furthermore, D. Of course.
8. Which one of these statements would be considered inappropriate in formal writing? A. Dr Thomson arrives promptly each morning, B. He hates to be late, C. He reviews the reports of his assistants, D. Next, he prepares to conduct his experiments.
9. A clause from sentence (1) has been turned into a (n)------------ in sentence (11). (1) Since she knew what the lecture was about, she didn't attend the meeting. (11) Knowing what the lecture was about, she didn't attend the meeting. A. compound predicate, B. relative pronoun, C. infinitive, D. phrase.
10. How are the ideas in the following two sentences tied together? The best time I had all summer was the night of Sherry's party. The worst was the next day. A. A connective, B. Sentences closely connected in meaning, C. Word pointers, D. No connection.
11. Which sentence contains a prepositional phrase? A. A connective, B. Sentences closely connected in meaning, C. Word pointers, D. No connection.
12. Two things to keep in mind when you're deciding whether to use formal or informal English are the, A. opinion and the occasion, B. occasion and the audience, C. reader and the audience, D. reader and the location.
13. Which of the following groups of words is a sentence fragment? A. When we stopped by the garden, B. Stop by the garden, C. We stopped; she didn't, D. Stopped by the garden, we saw that the flowers were in bloom.
14. What is the name of the common error in the following sentence? Having risen because of the rains, the hikers were unable to cross the river. A. Infinitive phrase, B. Run-on sentence, C. Dangling modifier, D. Prepositional phrase.
15. Which of the following is the best opening sentence for a business letter that you want to sound fairly informal? A. I am in receipt of your order of February 10, B. This letter is to make you cognizant of our receipt of your order. C. Your order of February 10 arrived in our office today. D. Please be advised that I've just received your order.
16. Which one of the following sentences contains two ideas joined by a connecting word? A. Frank went fishing on Saturday he caught many fish. B. Tina arrived at work earlier than usual. C. Mike ran after the bus. D. Sally lives with her parents, although she could afford her own apartment.
17. Which of the following is a way you could begin an essay that's about the medical uses of iodine? A. Last summer, a splinter in my brother's leg became infected, which led to blood poisoning. He could have prevented the problem with a few drops of iodine. B. The Winter Olympics of 1980 took place in the beautiful area of Lake Placid, New York. Lake Placid is nestled in the Adirondack mountains. C. Silver iodide is used in photography. Photography is a widespread form of art, and it has become more popular than painting. D. Although iodine is useful for medical treatments, so are other elements like oxygen, radium, and barium.
18. Which of the following sentences has a relative clause? A. The audience applauded the ambassador, who spoke for one-half hour. B. Tony ate the pizza and then went to the movies. C. Many young people are searching for jobs. D. The bus stopped at the corner, but she forgot to get off.

I WILL SEND THE REST OF THE QUESTION AND I HOPE FOR PROPER ANSWERS TO MY QUESTIONS. THANK YOU.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Homework
4/7/2011
Tutor: Susan Athena, Professional w/Adv. Degree replied 6 years ago
Susan Athena
Susan Athena, Professional w/Adv. Degree
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
FOR SUSAN ATHENA, THANK YOU FOR THE PREVIOUS ANSWERS BUT I AM YET TO ACCEPT IT TILL I RECEIVE ANSWERS TO THIS QUESTIONS. THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN.

1. Which part of the following words is the best close-up word? A. Plant, B. Zucchini C. Food, D. Vegetable
2. An antonym is a word that's, A. defined in a thesaurus, B. the same meaning, C. pronounced the same, D. opposite in meaning
3. Which one of the following sentences is written in the active voice? A. Accidents are witnessed every day, B. Few people think seriously of doing something about accidents, C. Accidents are considered by most people as unavoidable, D. It is said that definite steps can be taken to prevent many accidents.
4. To put abstract ideas into close-up words, use____descriptions. A. faraway, B. impersonal, C. general, D. concrete
5. A synonym is a word that's, A. defined in a thesaurus, B. similar in meaning, C. pronounced the same, D. opposite in meaning
6. Anna is an exceptional young girl.______Anna does any job that needs to be done. To vary the sentences structure, which one the following sentences should you insert in the blank? A.Have you noticed how hard she works? B. Anna is always working hard at home, C. Anna works hard every day of her life, D. Anna is a hardworking and versatile person
7. When we speak of the flavor of a word, we're talking about the extra understood meanings that if carries in addition to its main meaning. These extra meanings are called, A. definitions, B. denotations, C. connotations, D. shadings
8. Which is the best strategy to follow when you write a report or an essay? A. Get it right the first and put it aside until it's due, B. Revise it over and over for at least three or four years, C. Write it in one sitting and revise it only once, D. Work on it over a seven-day period and rewrite it at least twice
9. Which of the following statements about vocabulary building is not correct? A. The best way to improve your vocabulary is to memorize lists of vocabulary words, B. Reading on a daily basis is very important for building your vocabulary, C. Using the dictionary is only one step in the process of vocabulary building, D. Pronunciation is an important part of adding new words to your vocabulary
10. What is the most important point in the following sentence? My sister, Emily the tallest girl in her class, has many friends. A. Emily is my sister, B. Emily is the tallest girl in the class, C. Emily has many friends, D. My sister's name is Emily
11. Which of the following direct quotations is punctuated properly?
A. "Way to go, Sean," the coach shouted. "That was a great run!", B. "Way to go, Sean," the coach shouted. "That was a great run"!, C. "Way to go, Sean", the coach shouted. "That was a great run"! D. "Way to go, Sean", the coach shouted. "That was a great run!"
12. Increasing your vocabulary means, A. you'll write longer sentences, B.you'll write more lively sentences, C. you'll spend less time on revision, D. you'll be able to spend more time reading
13. A cliche is a ____expression. A. new, B. foreign, C. worn-out, D. wordy
14. Of the following methods the best way to increase your reading is by, A. reading a new book every day, B. forcing yourself to read subjects you dislike, C. setting a goal to read five new pages every night, D. joining a mail-order book club.
15. Freewriting is an exercise in which you, A. revise and polish an essay, B. write whatever your thoughts are in no particular order, C. rewrite an article in magazine or newspaper, D. write only grammatically correct sentences
16. A thesaurus is a book that's useful for finding, A. frequently misspelled words, B. synonyms, C. famous persons, D. definitions
17. Find the sentence with the active voice, A. The chairman told me that the legislature passed the bill, B. It was voted by the legislature to pass, C. The bill was passed by the legislature, D. I was told by the chairman that the bill was passed by the legislature
18. Which one of the following statements about making your writing fun to read is not correct? A. The conversation you write must sound natural for the characters, B. Give your writing a personal touch by showing that you're interested in your subject, C. Direct quotations should be reserved for characters in stories, D. An anecdote or humorous quotation is often more convincing than a strong argument.
19. Which of the following sentences uses the best close-up words? A. Sara is pursuing a degree, B. Sara is pursuing a non-science degree, C. Sara is studying languages, D. Sara is studying French and German
20. Sentences (i) has been shortened in sentence (ii) by using a(n)----- (i) She likes a location that is in the sun. (ii) She likes a sunny location, A. prefix, B. adjective, C. phrase, D. connective
21. Which of these is a run-on sentence? A. I went home and ate and ate, B. Before lunch, I played volleyball; after lunch i did again, C. I thought about what he'd said soon I realized he was right, D. You and I and the whole team will go.
Hi. Thanks for requesting me! That is far too many questions for one accept. Please contact customer service.

Kind regards,
Susan
Susan Athena
Susan Athena