Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

Developmental Psychology

Customer Question
1. Which reflects a basic...

1. Which reflects a basic ability available only to a formal operational thinker?
A. Realistically speaking
B. Hypothetically speaking
C. Speaking from experience
D. Speaking on behalf of others

2. The statements, “People who study for their psychology tests get good grades” and “Sigmund studied for his psychology test,” along with the conclusion “Sigmund will get a good grade on his psychology test,” represents an example of a(n) _____ test:
A. Divergent thinking
B. Deductive reasoning
C. Object performance
D. Conservation

3. Which provides the best example of cognitive self-regulation?
A. Having a short-term memory for a phone number you just heard
B. Realizing that some inanimate objects may be capable of self-movement
C. Deciding that using flashcards does not appear to improve memory for terms
D. Knowing that 4 plus 4 equals 8

4. Wise, Ring, and Olsen (1999) conducted a study in which they attempted to identify the best method for training children with reading disabilities. What did they conclude?
A. No techquines led to improved reading
B. Only techniques focusing on articulatory awareness were effective
C. Only techniques focusing on sound manipulation were effective
D. Techniques focusing on articulatory awareness and/or sound manipulation were all found to be effective

5. Which question is best answered through convergent thinking?
A. “What is life?”
B. “How is knowledge of developmental psychology useful?”
C. “Who is the best football player of all time?”
D. “What is 5+5?”

6. Morris, a 17-year-old African American, is taking an intelligence test during his senior year of high school. Which of his current thoughts would indicate that he is experiencing stereotype threat?
A. “I wonder if my Asian friends do better than everyone else?”
B. “If I don’t do well, my mom and dad will be very disappointed.”
C. “As an athlete, a good score on this test will open up a lot of scholarship opportunities, and so I must do well even though I am not that smart.”
D. “If I do badly on this test, they may think that all black kids are stupid, and this thought is making me nervous and negatively impacting my performance.”

7. During the elementary school years, _________________________________.
A. Boys grow faster than girls do, for most years
B. Growth occurs at a steady pace
C. Most of the growth occurs in the trunk and not the legs
D. Growth slows down, so children need to consume fewer calories than in pre-school years

8. _________________ children tend to be taller than ________________ children, who tend to be taller than __________________ children.
A. European American, African American, Asian American
B. African American, European American, Asian American
C. African American, Asian American, European American
D. Asian American, African American, European American

9. Gender differences in motor skills during the elementary school years are due in part to ______________.
A. Differences in experience 
B. Girls’ bodies having less fat
C. Girls’ bodies having more muscle
D. Beliefs that physical fitness is less important for boys than girls

10. If your going to use time-out, the text seems to feel you should make sure that _________________.
A. You use other forms                 of punishment at the same time
B. You explain the reasons for the time-out to the child after the time-out period is over
C. The time-out period is at least a half hour long
D. You totally ignore the behavior the next time it occurs

11. In which country would individuality in children be most acceptable to parents?
A. Panama
B. China
C. Taiwan
D. The United States

12. When Ki-Jana asks his parents if he can buy a car, his parents say no but sit down and explain to him the reasoning behind their decision. His parents express affection towards him and tell him that they may consider the matter at some later time. Which parenting style best describes Ki-Jana’s parents?
A. Authoritarian
B. Indulgent-permissive
C. Indifferent-uninvolved
D. Authoritative

13. Why did the harmful impacts of divorce appear to have increased in the 1990’s?
A. Divorce was so uncommon that children of divorce were seen as very different
B. Divorce settlements were more “vicious” than they had been in the past
C. Joint versus single custody had become more of the norm.
D. The gap between single-and-two-parent family incomes was widening

14. Which would likely lead to a significant drop in incidence of physical child abuse?
A. Having the entire would adopt a child-rearing system like that was seen in the United States
B. Wipe out poverty
C. Eliminate government intervention into parenting issues
D. Encourage parents to adopt an authoritarian style

15. There is a group in town made up of girls who like golf. The leader of the group is most likely to be _________.
A. Annika, who is the best golfer in the group
B. Holly, who has the most outgoing personality
D. Cathy, who is the best student in the group

16. In a group based on a dominance hierarchy, you can expect ___________________.
A. Increased internal conflict
B. Equal status for all members
C. A single leader
D. Few active members

17. In which situation is Rita most likely to be influenced by peer pressure?
A. Determining how she should act when she visits her grandmother
B. Deciding what book she should buy at the bookstore
C. Determining how she should cook macaroni and cheese
D. Deciding whether she should sleep at night

18. Liked is to popular children, as disliked is to ______ children?
A. Controversial
B. Rejected
C. Average
D. Neglected

19. Graham watches television for many hours every day. Dan does not watch television at all. It is most likely that ________.
A. Graham has more stereotyped views of men and women
B. Dan will be more aggressive
C. Dan is less intelligent
D. Graham has a more realistic view of the elderly
E. All of the above

20. Which five-year-old is likely to have the biggest vocabulary?
A. Tamar, who watches many violent programs
B. Gal, who only watches television commercials
C. Daphna, who watched many hours of Sesame Street
D. Ronnie, who has never watched television

21. Which statement is most accurate regarding the effects of watching television?
A. Television causes children to have short attention spans
B. There is no strong evidence that TV watching in and of itself has negative effects on children
C. Children who watch television become lazy thinkers
D. Watching television leads to increased activity levels and stifles the creativity of children who watch it

22. Compared to older children’s descriptions, younger children’s descriptions of other people are more likely to be focused on ___________________?
A. Psychological
B. Abstract
C. Personality
D. Concrete

23. Which of Selman's stages of perspective taking is the least advanced?
A. Social-informational
B. Third-person
C. Undifferentiated
D. Societal

24. Prejudice ______________________________________.
A. Is rare in pre-schoolers
B. Decreases as children learn that they are part of a specific group
C. Increases when children have more contact with children from other groups
D. Decreases when children use role-playing to imagine what it would be like to be from a different ethnic group and experience discrimination

25. Which of the following statements about prejudice is false?
A. Children of groups that are often the victims of discrimination become aware of racial stereotypes at younger ages than children who aren't.
B. Most seven-year-olds aren't really aware of broadly held racial stereotypes.
C. Prejudice in young children doesn't generally include direct hostility.
D. All of the above statements are true.
E. All of the above statements are false.

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Homework
3/20/2011
Tutor: Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work replied 6 years ago
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work