Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

1. Choose the sentence in which the italicized pronoun agrees

Customer Question
in number with its italicized...
1. Choose the sentence in which the italicized pronoun agrees in number with its italicized antecedent or antecedents. Options: A. Maureen called the children for his meal. B. The boys want their dessert now. C. Mary and Jill won't eat her vegetables. D. The waiter refilled their glasses as they emptied it.

2. Which one of the following is a correct spelling of a plural noun? A. buffaloes. B. knifes. C. oxes. D. gooses.

3. Which one of the following is a correct example of the plural possessive case? A. stone's throw. B. men's plans C. it's place. D. women's plans.

4. Choose the simple subject in the following sentence. The tallest contestant won the prize. A. tallest. B. contestant. C. won D. prize.

5. Choose the sentence in which the verb has a direct object. A. She is insecure B. I walked away C. George was furious D. They won the game.

6. Choose the sentence which contains an indirect object. A. I worked hard each day B. They gave me a bonus C. I spent it immediately D. It is difficult to save money.

7. Choose the simple predicate in the following sentence. The men finished the game in a short time. A. men B. finished C. game D. time

8. Choose the sentence that has a compound predicate. A. Swimming and golfing are Jim's favorite sports B. Sue and I will listen C. Sandy washed and ironed her clothes D. We went home to eat and to study.

9. Choose the sentence that has a subject complement. A. The nurse felt my pulse B. I felt much better C. The day ended with many surprises D. We can't leave without seeing her.
10. In which sentence are the conjunctions used correctly? A. Either Fred nor John knew about the accident B. The top award was given to neither Steve or Jim C. Neither beauty nor popularity was considered in the contest D. Mary enjoyed neither roller skating.
11. Which one of the following pairs of words consists of antonyms? A. true---false B. calm---quiet C. near---close D. like---love.
12. In which of the following sentences is the word its used correctly? A. The monster reared its head at the tourists B. The problem with the lawn mower is that its old C. When trying to catch fish, its important to be patient D. Its easy to learn to play the guitar, if you're willing to practice.
13. Which of the following italicized words is correctly capitalized? A. Mount mckinley is the tallest mountain in North America B. The most beautiful State is Hawaii C. Marsha speaks excellent german D. Jim must drive to the North to study the northern lights.
14. Which of the following is a correctly written compound word? A. Thirty one B. Self-evident C. Quickly-running D. Spur of the moment-decision.
15.Choose the sentence below in which of is used correctly. A. We should of left early B. The boys surrendered, but they should of fought C. The bird flew north of the beach D. The three girls might of broken the records.
16. Select the sentence in which the verb correctly agrees with the subject? A. A copy of Moby Dick and several magazines has disappeared from my room B. Peggy and Phyllis drives me to Florida every winter C. Les and Miranda is late for work today D. Not only the muffler but also the spark plugs need to be replaced.
17. Select the sentence in which all pronouns are used correctly. A. Just between you and I, I am not impressed by our new manager B. Be sure to divide all income from the suburban property between he and I C. I sat between him and her during the sales conference D. I hope she will keep this between she and I.
18. Which of the following sentences contains an italicized word that's used as a predicate adjective? A. Jerry looks at the map B. Jerry looks ill today C. Jerry looks into the microscope D. Jerry looks disdainfully at the pile of laundry.
19. Which sentence below contains a correctly used modifier in italics? A. He spoke sharply to his sister B. I feel goodly now that I'm over the flu C. The sauce tasted bitterly, and I couldn't swallow it D. Joe looked sad at his broken bike.
20. Which one of the following is a correct example of the singular possessive case? A. women's club B. audiences' reaction C. who's job D. king's rights.

Please help me with accurate answers to all the questions given Thanx.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Homework
3/11/2011
Tutor: R.R. Jha, Tutor replied 6 years ago
R.R. Jha
R.R. Jha, Tutor
Welcome to Justanswer!

Please download your answer below

http://www.mediafire.com/?9zasyhh6o5edeoh

Hope that helps.
Regards,

ALL I NEED IS CHANGING OF THE FORMAT INTO A SIMPLER ONE FOR ME TO GET IT OPENED. MAYBE INTO MICROSOFT WORD. THANK YOU
In fact the file I gave the link to is Microsoft Word itself. You've to go to that link and download the word file. Let me know if you can't access the link above.
I still cannot access it, kindly help me in sending it through a very easy method to get it downloaded. thank you.
Please click the link below to download the word file

Grammar.doc

If helpful, don't forget to click the Accept button to credit me for the answer.

Regards,
Sorry I still cannot open the Grammar.doc, please can you use a note pad to save and send to me. thank you.
Alright, here are the correct options

1) B
2) A
3) B
4) B
5) D
6) B
7) C
8) C
9) B
10) C
11) A
12) A
13) D
14) B
15) C
16) D
17) C
18) B
19) A
20) D
R.R. Jha
R.R. Jha, Tutor

Thank you for the answers provided to the questions. I still need you to help me with the following questions.

1. Which of the following is a run-on sentence? A. The house was owned by the mayor. B. Mike joined the army, and he became more disciplined during the training. C. Karen's uncle arrives tomorrow she wants to see him. D. We like to take a walk after dinner.

2. Which sentence uses correct parallel construction? A. The painter wore glasses, gloves, and boots. B. Most people enjoy ice cream and the plant grows. C. You can either talk to the manager about your problem or writing a letter to the president of the company. D. Anyone who is going to work here will have to be athletic, an intelligent person, and have a good sense of humor.

3. Which of the following is a fragment? A. The truth can be unpleasant. B. The rams locked horns, and the tourists watched them from far away. C. The dancer floated across the stage D. The canoe with the blue stripes.

4. Which sentence contains repetitious words that should be left out? A. The bright star is visible B. The bright star is visible to the eye C. The star was visible centuries ago D. The star will soon disappear.

5. Which sentence contains words in italics that form a gerund phrase? (A gerund is a verb form used the same way as a noun) A. The laughing boy sat down B. An interesting novel provides good entertainment C. Winning the race demanded speed and endurance D. I am going home.

6. In which sentence are the italicized words a dangling modifier? (A dangling modifier is a phrase that doesn't modify the noun that's near it) A. Arriving ten minutes late, the store was closed for the night B. Flying beneath the cloud, the pilot could see the airport C. Resting on the sea bottom, the old trunk held many coins D. Not knowing the danger, the soldiers marched into the trap.

7. Which sentence uses the passive voice? A. The rain continued until dawn B. John searched for a job C. The tree was planted by Mary D. Lies destroy friendship.

8. In which sentence are the italicized words a dependent clause? (A dependent clause can't stand as a sentence on its own.) A. She went swimming, and her brother went boating B. The diving board broke when she jumped into the pool C. She wanted to leave early, or she wanted to stay overnight D. She became angry, but she would not leave without her brother.

9. One of the following sentence contains an independent clause and a dependent clause, which makes it a complex sentence. Which is the complex sentence? A. After the rain ended, the sky became blue B. Jenny was the largest elephant in the circus C. I came home; I saw an envelope in the mailbox D. I hesitated a moment, but her smile gave me courage.

10. Which of the following is a compound sentence? A. Kim will take her daughter shopping when she learns to behave in public B. Sue gave Jim a new racket, and he left the tennis courts C. Rain and heavy winds caused damaged along the coast D. We found our way home without a map.

11. Which of the following pairs of ideas could be combined into a compound sentence? (Remember that only related ideas should be joined into a compound sentence). A. The days became longer. The children could play outside later B. The street light were dim. The play was a success C. The weather had changed. The house seemed deserted D. We watched the news on television. The girls walked quickly to school.

12. In which sentence is the punctuation correct? A. Marge "said The train is just leaving" B. Marge said The train is just leaving C. Marge said "The train is just leaving" D. Marge said, "The train is just leaving"

13. In which of the following sentences is a semicolon used correctly? A. Joe watered the garden and; the plants did not grow B. Joe watered the garden; however, the plants did not grow C. Joe watered the garden but the plants; did not grow D. Joe watered; the garden yet the plants did not grow.

14. Which sentence contains italicized words that are used as an infinitive phrase? A. Kelly went to the grocery store B. Tom went there for some flour C. Jane parked her car behind a truck D. Mark wanted to go, but not today.

15. Which one of the following sentences is punctuated correctly? A. The sea calmed but no boats left shore B. The sea calmed, but no boats left shore C. The sea calmed; but no boats, left shore D. The sea, calmed, but no boats, left shore.

16. How could you combine the following two sentences into one compound sentence? The rabbit jumped into the bushes. The dog followed it. A. After the rabbit jumped into the bushes, the dog followed it B. The dog and the rabbit jumped into the bushes C. The rabbit jumped into the bushes, and the dog followed it D. The dog followed the rabbit when it jumped into the bushes.

17. Which of the following is a complex sentence that contains a dependent adverbial clause? A. Mark expects the photo to arrive on Tuesday B. Mark expects the photo to arrive late C. Mark expects the photo to arrive in damaged condition D. Mark expects the photo to arrive when the letter arrives.

18. How could you combine the following two sentences into a complex sentence with a dependent adjectival clause? The boy wore a green coat, He arried his sister home. A. The boy who wore a green coat carried his sister home B. The boy wore a green coat; he carried his sister home C. The boy carried home his sister's green coat D. The boy wore a green coat, and he carried his sister home.

19. Identify the compound sentence. A. Last summer, we decided to drive to the beach B. Because it has been sunny all week, we did not bring umbrellas C. The rain began to fall, but we did not want to leave D. While it rained on the beach, we swam in the ocean.

20. Identify the sentence that contains a noun clause in italics. A. Betty wants to harvest the corn B. When should Betty harvest the corn C. Betty would like to harvest the corn D. What Betty wants is to harvest the corn.

Thank you.

Please first accept my previous answer, then I'll start working on your second question.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
R.R. Jha
R.R. Jha, Tutor
Hello RRJha,

Thank you for the previous answers to my questions, I really appreciate your responds. Please I would need you to help me with the following Writing Process questions.

1. Write a composition using one of the topics listed below. Your composition should be three to five paragraphs long. It should contain an introduction, a body, and a conclusion.

a. Argue for or against the limitation of speed limits
b. Explain why a certain sport is your favorite.
c. Compare and contrast driving in the winter and driving in the summer.
d. Analyze the best way to buy a car, mow a lawn, or prepare a meal.
e. Describe a memorable day in your life.

2. Write a letter of complaint. Follow the rules for a business letter, and use the full-block style. The complaint may be about anything you wish (such as malfunctioning equipment, poor building maintenance, disruptive noises from a nearby office). You can base your letter on a true experience, or you can make up the details you need.

Thank you and I await your reply soon.
Please post this question as a separate question in a new thread. That way, other experts can also have a look. If I start working on your new question, I'd reply there itself. Also, please accept my previous answer to your second question.

Regards,

THE SECOND PART QUESTION:

1. The word settled has more meaning. In which one of the following sentences is settled used incorrectly? A. Dust settled slowly as the truck moved down thew road. B. As far as they were concerned, the matter was settled. C. Immigrants from Sweden settled in Maryland. D. Mavis decided that small-town life was settled.
2. You spot a small bird with bright yellow feathers on your back porch. Which one of the following books might be a good place to find out what kind of bird you've seen? A. Bird Feeders for Fun. B. How Geese Find Their Way. C. North American Bird Illustrated. D. The Anatomy of Birds.
3. Jeb looked through the paper and came across an article called "A Look Back at the Civil War." He wondered if the article had any information on Robert E. Lee. He ran his eyes quickly over the article, looking for the name Robert E. Lee. He did this in order to ------ the article. A. scan B. preview C. review D. understand
4. From looking at the title, which one of the following books is most likely to be nonfiction? A. The Spy Who Came in from the Cold B. The Stranger Within C. Exercise for All Seasons D. A Summer in Venice.
5. "Mark had been a resident of Larchmont for 17 years, and local folks thought of him as a solid citizen." In this sentence, the word solid probably means. A. heavy B. verbs C. dependable D. older.
6. If the words brave and courageous were used in the same context, they would be examples of A. nouns B. verbs C. antonyms D. synonyms.
7. Suppose you turn to the weather channel on TV because you want to know if the weather is good for ice-skating. The specific information you'll probably look for is the A. 90-day forecast B. temperature C. chance of snow D. time of sunset and sunrise.
8. You can often tell what a word means by its ------- A. context B. order C. spelling D. placement.
9. Preview the following magazine titles. Which one would you expect to include recipes for healthy meals? A. Cucina Italiana B. Bon Appetit C. Eating Well D. Gourmet.
10. Preview the following titles of novels. Which one would you expect to be about the adventures of a sled dog? A. The Cell of the wild B. Sons and Lovers C. A Passage to India D. The Secret Agent.
11. Which one of the following items would be most likely to have a list of chapter titles? A. novel B. newspaper C. magazine D. article.
12. If a word is capitalized in the middle of a properly written sentence, chances are the word is A. the most important word in the sentence B. a proper noun C. the start of a definition D. a grammatical error.
13. Suppose you're scanning an article. Which one of the following items would stand out most for you? A. Nouns B. Verbs C. Passages D. Numbers
14. What mark of punctuation might indicate that more information is to come? A. Period B. Dash C. Exclamation point D. Hyphen.

I await your respond and Thank you so much.

Thanks for requesting me these questions but I can help only with the second part having 14 questions. Let me know if that would be acceptable to you, then I'd post the answers.
Hello Dr, Please I need to know what is the cause of an abdomen left side pain and also the waist, because I am pregnant for 8months now and I am seriously feeling the pain and I couldn't sleep well throughout the night. Please what is the solution to it. I really need your respond to this question please. Thank you.

I think you intended to ask this question in medical category, in your another question thread. You may post there itself.
In case you're still needing help with the second part of the grammar question you posted, let me know.

Regards,
R.R. Jha
R.R. Jha
R.R. Jha, Tutor