Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

13) In the 1920s, the automobile A) was just a passing fancy. B) had

Customer Question
13) In the 1920s, the...
13) In the 1920s, the automobile
A) was just a passing fancy.
B) had little effect on American life.
C) profoundly changed American life.
D) had little effect on the rest of the American economy.
E) was a novelty because so few Americans could afford one.

14) Benefitting most from the economic gains of the 1920s were
A) farmers
B) African Americans
C) industrial workers
D) women
E) the middle and upper classes

15) The ______________ symbolized the flowering of African American culture in the 1920s.
A) growth of the NAACP
B) “flappers”
C) Harlem Renaissance
D) expatriates
E) “Garveyites”

16) Which ONE of the following was NOT a result of prohibition?
A) an increase in drinking.
B) an increase in crime.
C) a decrease in drinking.
D) opposition to Prohibition by urban Americans.
E) a lucrative smuggling business.

17) The most striking characteristic of the stock market in 1929 was
A) investors’ obsession with speculation.
B) the downward trend of its major stocks early in the year.
C) the government’s desire to carefully regulate it.
D) the fact that the great majority of wage-earning Americans were so heavily involved in it.
E) its steady advance through the decade, culminating in record levels in 1929.

18) The social and economic effects of the “Great Depression”
A) impacted only the wealthier classes.
B) hit the middle class especially hard.
C) lasted only a few months past the end of 1929.
D) were harsh only in the case of the lower classes.
E) came to light only gradually.

19) During the Hundred Days Franklin D. Roosevelt did all of the following, EXCEPT
A) propose government ownership of major industries.
B) close all banks.
C) institute the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA).
D) create the Agricultural Adjustment Act (AAA).
E) call for a special session of Congress.

20) The individual most responsible for promoting African American rights during the New Deal was
A) Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
B) John Collier.
C) Harry Hopkins.
D) Harold Ickes.
E) Mary Macleod Bethune.

21) By 1935, the “New Deal Coalition” included support from all of the following EXCEPT
A) organized labor.
B) urban Americans.
C) big business.
D) northern, urban African-Americans.
E) Southern Democrats.

22) Franklin Roosevelt’s Good Neighbor Policy promised Latin American countries
A) more U.S. military involvement in their affairs.
B) less U.S. interest in Latin America.
C) easy U.S loans with low interest rates.
D) closer ties with each other.
E) a cooperative, rather than paternalistic relationship with the U. S.

23) Which of the following was NOT a provision of the Neutrality Acts of 1935-1937?
A) prohibition on munitions sales to belligerents
B) prohibition of U.S. loans to belligerents
C) complete trade embargo of belligerents
D) all trade with belligerents had to be on a strict cash-and-carry basis
E) preventing Americans from sailing on belligerent ships

24) During 1940-1941, President Roosevelt attempted to halt Japanese aggression in Asia by
A) applying economic pressure on Japan through a trade embargo.
B) waging a clandestine, undeclared war against the Imperial Navy in the Pacific.
C) signing mutual defense pacts with other Asian nations.
D) securing legislation that allowed him to send troops to China.
E) sending spies to Japan to gather tactical information.

25) For much of the Second World War, the Allies differed vigorously over
A) whether the Soviet Union should enter the war against Japan.
B) when and where to open the second front against Germany.
C) whether Germany should be forced to surrender unconditionally.
D) whose army should enter Berlin first.
E) whether the war against Germany or Japan should take priority.

26) President Truman’s primary motive for using nuclear weapons against Japan was to
A) impress the Soviets.
B) kill as many Japanese as possible.
C) make sure these costly weapons were used.
D) start a postwar arms race.
E) end the war as quickly as possible.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Homework
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/17/2011
Tutor: Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work replied 7 years ago
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Chris M.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work