Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

Lesson 5 Additional Issues in Criminal Justice EXAMINATION

Lesson 5 Additional Issues in...

Lesson 5
Additional Issues in Criminal Justice

EXAMINATION NUMBER:
40633000

1. According to a number of studies, which of the following
statements is false?
A. How youths behave towards the police influence whether
or not an arrest is made.
B. An arrest may be made simply because of who the
complainant is.
C. Girls are less likely than boys to be arrested for criminal
offenses.
D. Girl status offenders are less likely than boy status
offenders to be formally processed.

2. In what case did the Supreme Court rule that a finding of
delinquency in a juvenile case must be made with the same
level of evidence used in an adult case: beyond a reasonable
doubt?
A. Schall v. Martin
B. Breed v. Jones
C. In re Winship
D. In re Gault

3. A juvenile may serve the rest of a sentence during:
A. Detention.
B. Aftercare.
C. Intake.
D. Reduction.

4. In what case did the Supreme Court say that juveniles aren't entitled to a jury trial?
A. McKeiver v. Pennsylvania
B. New Jersey v. T.L.O.
C. Schall v. Martin
D. In re Winship

5. After police processing, the juvenile offender is typically remanded to the local juvenile court's _______ division.
A. Intake
B. Detention
C. Bail
D. Plea bargaining

6. When a juvenile court is looking out for the “best interests of the child,” what philosophy is the court applying?
A. Due process
B. Parens patriae
C. Delinquency prevention
D. Waiver

7. In what case did the Supreme Court establish that the hearing on whether to transfer a case to criminal court is a critically important stage in the juvenile justice process?
A. Kent v. United States
B. Breed v. Jones
C. In re Gault
D. In re Winship

8. The maximum prison at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base in Cuba is:
A. Supermax.

B. Abu Ghraib.
C. Camp Delta.
D. Camp Clandestine.

9. From a legal perspective, if you receive an e-mail claiming that there's a problem with your Internet account and that you should update your billing information through a link embedded in that e-mail, you're most probably experiencing:
A. Spam.
B. Phishing.
C. Dumpster diving.
D. Shoulder surfing.

10. Restricting the development of the DNA database is a focus of:
A. The conservative approach.
B. Crime control law enforcement.
C. JUMP advocates.
D. Proponents of the due process model of law enforcement.

11. About how many juveniles are being held in residential facilities?
A. 100,000
B. 125,000
C. 150,000
D. 200,000

12. The juvenile equivalent of a trial is called:
A. Detention.
B. A waiver hearing.
C. Aftercare.
D. Adjudication.

13. The most important case to impact and enhance the due process protections of juveniles within the juvenile court system was:
A. Kent v. United States.
B. Miranda v. Arizona.
C. In re Gault.
D. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania v. Fisher.

14. When prosecutors postpone or eliminate criminal prosecution in exchange for a juvenile offenders' participation in community service programs, this is called:
A. Discretion.
B. Plea bargaining.
C. Diversion.
D. Disposition.

15. The State of Illinois created the first juvenile court in what year?
A. 1818
B. 1819
C. 1847
D. 1899

16. To receive a waiver to transfer a juvenile offender to the adult courts, a prosecutor must generally:
A. Prove beyond all doubt that the offense was committed deliberately by the juvenile.
B. Show that the juvenile has had a long record of criminal behavior.
C. Demonstrate that the juvenile presents a danger to society.
D. Provide a birth certificate showing the child is older than 13.

17. The first correctional institutions devoted exclusively to youth incarceration were:
A. Training schools.
B. Cottage reformatories.
C. Poor houses.
D. Houses of refuge.

18. One of the concerns with trying juveniles as adults is:
A. Difficulty of the transfer process of some states.
B. Whether the juvenile is intellectually competent to assist in his or her defense.
C. Difficulty in getting the parents to agree to the transfer.
D. Limitations of the plea bargaining process that will result.

19. The vast majority of adjudications are:
A. Dismissed.
B. Uncontested.
C. Bench adjudications.
D. Tried by jury.

20. The philosophy that justifies state intervention in the lives of children when their parents are unable or unwilling to protect them is:
A. Parens dire.
B. Petit jury.
C. Capias.
D. Parens patriae.

Answered in 2 days by:
1/14/2011
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Chris M.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work