Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

microeconomics

In 1998, the U.S. Justice...
In 1998, the U.S. Justice Department and 20 state attorney generals filed lawsuits against Microsoft. In your essay, discuss the reason for the lawsuit, the outcome of the trial, and how this lawsuit affected Microsoft and consumers. 250 to 300 words

Answered in 2 days by:
1/4/2011
Chris12
Chris12, Teacher

Chris12 :

APA? # XXXXX refs? Due date and time? Additional info to complete?

Customer : By friday 1:00 pm and there's no additional info to complete
Chris12 :

Okay, I'm on it.

Chris12 :

Here's the assignment. If you need help again contact me.

Chris12 :

The United States Government accused Microsoft of being a monopoly for many years in the area of computer operating systems and applications. In 1998 Microsoft was the world's largest supplier of computer software for personal computers. "Windows" can be found on over 80% of Intel-based PCs, the dominant type of PC in the United States. 90% of new PCs are shipped with a version of "Windows" pre-installed. Manufacturers had no alternatives to place on the computers at that time. The highest barriers to entering this market centered on the number of software applications that must run on an operating system in order to make the operating system attractive to users. The majority of the applications were written to run "Windows" which makes alternative applications costly and time consuming to create.

The United States Government was seeking a breakup of the Microsoft empire but due to very good attorneys and continued appeals and briefs, the US Government was actually worn down and sought only a settlement to end the antitrust proceedings. On November 1, 2002 Judge Kollar-Kotelly rules that a proposed settlement serves the public's interest as required by the Tunney Act, which sets standards of review for the antitrust settlements. There were several immediate and long-term affects because of the antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft. First, Microsoft signs an agreement giving computer makers freedom to install Windows 95 without an Internet Explorer icon. Second, Sun Microsystems wins a crucial ruling when a federal court tells Microsoft to stop selling products that contain an incompatible version of Java. Third, new browsers such as Mozilla Firefox and Opera are available to consumers. Also there is an alternative to Microsoft office called Open Office.

Chris12
Chris12, Teacher
Chris12
Chris12
Chris12, Teacher