Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

1. Which one of the following composers is best known for promoting

1. Which one of the...
1. Which one of the following composers is best known for
promoting aleatory music?
A. John Cage C. Franz Wozzek
B. Richard Strauss D. Béla Bartók
2. Which of the following composers wrote the music for West
Side Story?
A. George M. Cohan C. Jerome Kern
B. Leonard Bernstein D. Cole Porter
3. Tamra says that the difference between an opera and a
musical is that the opera includes more spoken word than
singing. Eduardo says that the musical contains singing with
some spoken dialog. Who is correct in citing the difference?
A. Tamra
B. Eduardo
C. Both Tamra and Eduardo
D. Neither Tamra nor Eduardo
Exxaamiinnaattiioonn
Lesson 7
The Twentieth Century, Part 2
When you feel confident that you have mastered the material in
Lesson 7, go to http://www.takeexamsonline.com and submit
your answers online. If you don’t have access to the Internet,
you can phone in or mail in your exam. Submit your answers for
this examination as soon as you complete it. Do not wait until
another examination is ready.
Questions 1–20: Select the one best answer to each question.
EXAMINATION NUMBER
00766600
Whichever method you use in submitting your exam
answers to the school, you must use the number above.
For the quickest test results, go to
http://www.takeexamsonline.com
84 Examination, Lesson 7
4. The first African American to have a major opera performed by a major American
opera company was
A. Scott Joplin. C. Langston Hughes.
B. William Grant Still. D. XXXXX XXXXX.
5. The _______ is a xylophone-like instrument with tubular resonators under each bar.
A. conga C. timbales
B. marimba D. suspended cymbal
6. Public Enemy’s abrasive rap recording “Fight the Power” has a basic pulse of
A. 60 beats per minute. C. 106 beats per minute.
B. 86 beats per minute. D. 120 beats per minute.
7. For the movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Chinese-American _______ was
enlisted to play the cello to offset the Asian-sounding erhu.
A. Tan Dun C. Ang Lee
B. Xiaohui Ma D. Yo-Yo Ma
8. The musical movement that started in the mid-1960s on the West Coast was the
_______ movement.
A. folk C. psychedelic
B. rock D. progressive
9. The progression of four basic chords that was used in many popular songs of the
1950s and 1960s is referred to as _______ chord progression.
A. bebop C. doo-wop
B. pop D. vamp
10. Notes that begin a phrase before a downbeat are known as pick-up notes or a/an
A. duck walk. C. shuffle groove.
B. call and response. D. anacrusis.
11. Einstein on a Beach was a unique opera because it
A. had no plot and very little singing. C. had a single violinist.
B. was written in Chinese. D. was exclusively recitative.
12. Agnes de Mille choreographed Aaron Copland’s Rodeo to blend
A. ballet with tap. C. square dance with Irish jig.
B. jazz and ballet. D. ballet with square dance.
Examination, Lesson 7 85
13. Which song crossed racial boundaries by achieving success on both the R&B and
pop charts?
A. “Please Mr. Postman” C. “Fight the Power”
B. “School Day” D. “My Ding-a-Ling”
14. A musical style that combines traditional and modern elements is called
A. exhibitionism. C. postmodernism.
B. modernism. D. minimalism.
15. A repeated melodic and rhythmic figure in the lower register of the piano is typical of
the Afro-Cuban dance music known as
A. mambo. C. salsa.
B. guaguanco. D. reggae.
16. The musician who ushered in the twentieth-century era of virtuosic rock guitar
playing was
A. Chet Atkins. C. Chuck Berry.
B. Jimi Hendrix. D. XXXXX XXXXX.
17. A modern-day retelling of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet is carried out in the musical
A. H.M.S. Pinafore. C. My Fair Lady.
B. The Mikado. D. West Side Story.
18. Which of John Cage’s works has been perceived by some as a joke?
A. Einstein on a Beach C. Illiac Suite
B. Imaginary Landscape no. 4 D. 4’33’’
19. The type of music that blended the musical styles of jump blues and honky-tonk was
A. Motown. C. jazz.
B. rock ’n’ roll. D. hip hop.
20. The hand-clapping at the beginning of the song “Please Mr. Postman” is known as the
A. hook. C. shuffle groove.
B. ostinato. D. vamp.
12/13/2010
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Chris M.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work