Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Riots took place in New York against the rich Republicans and…

Customer Question
Riots took place in New...
Riots took place in New York against the rich Republicans and African Americans as a result of the passage of what law:
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Homework
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/29/2010
Tutor: Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work replied 8 years ago
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work

HelloCustomer

Laws passed by Congress to draft men to fight in the Civil War (Conscription Act), inspired the New York Draft Riots in July, 1863. The rioters were from the ranks of the working class. The rich were a target because they could afford a $300 "commutation fee" and avoid the draft. African-Americans became targets or scapegoats because their freedom in the North had increased competition for manual labor and other menial jobs in New York City.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Chris M. on 6/29/2010 at 3:42 AM EST
Do you know the law?
Civil Rights Act?
or
Conscription Act
or
Contract Labor Act
or
Emancipation Proclamation Act?
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.