Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

A cicuit consisting of a resistor 12ohms an inductor 2H and…

Customer Question
A cicuit consisting of a...
A cicuit consisting of a resistor 12ohms an inductor 2H and a capacitor of 0.05 F is connected in series.
Use Laplace transforms to obtain an expression for the current flowing in the circuit in terms of the Laplace Operator s and a general input voltage V(S).
Use MATHCAD to obtain expressions for the current flowing in the circuit for the following input voltages:-
a) A step input of 10 volts
b) A voltage which rises linearly from zero to 10 volts.
c) A sinusoidal voltage which is given by v=10sin5t
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Homework
6/25/2010
Tutor: Dr. PAUL, Professor replied 8 years ago
Dr. PAUL
Dr. PAUL, Professor

The solution to part (a) is as follows:

In the series RLC circuit, assume that at t = 0 that there is no initial charge on the capacitor. If the switch is closed required is the resulting current. The time-domain equation of the given circuit is:

Ri + L(di/dt) +(1/C){Integral from 0 to t}i(t)dt = V

Because: i(0+) = 0, and since V = a step input, the Laplace transform of the differential equation is:

RI(s) + sLI(s) + (1/sC)I(s) = (V/s)

[sR + s^2L + (1/C)]I(s) = V

I(s) = V/[s^2L + sR + (1/C)]

If V is a step input to 10 Volts, R = 12 ohms, L = 2 H and C = 0.05 F then:

I(s) = 10/[2s^2 + 12s + 20]

I(s) = 5/[s^2 + 6s + 10]

I(s) = 5/[(s + 3 - j)(s + 3 + j)]

This is now expanded by partial fractions:

I(s) ={ j(5/2)/[s + 3 - j]} - {j(5/2)/[s + 3 + j]}

The inverse Laplace transform of this equation yields:

i(s) = j(5/2){exp[(-3 -j)t] - exp[(-3 + j)t]}

The solution to parts (b) and (c) will follow shortly

Dr. Paul

Dr. PAUL
Dr. PAUL, Professor
Can you send rest of answer as soon as possible please?

(c) Assume that V(t) = ASin (omega*t) = 10Sin5t

According to the transform tables, the transform of the source is:

V(s) = [(10)(5)]/[s^2 + (5)^2]

Therefore in the s domain the equation now becomes:

RI(s) + sLI(s) + (1/sC)I(s) = [(50)]/[s^2 + 25]

sRI(s) + s^2LI(s) + (1/C)I(s) = [(50s)]/[s^2 + 25]

I(s) = [(50s)]/[(s^2 + 25)( s^2L + sR + (1/C))]

Separating these terms using partial fractions and taking the inverse Laplace transform of each term, the result simplifies to:

i(t) = (V/Z^2)[RSin(omega*t) - XCos(omega*t)]

where: X = L(omega) - (1/[C(omega)])

X = 2(5) - [1/((0.05)(5))] = 10 - 4 = 6

Z = sqrt(R^2 + X^2)

Z = sqrt(12^2 + 6^2) = sqrt(144 + 36) = 13.4

The equation for the current in the circuit as a function of time is therefore:

i(t) = (10/180)[12Sin(5t) - 6Cos(5t)]

This solution can also be written in the form:

i(t) = (V/Z)Sin[omega*t - Arctan(X/R)]

i(t) = (10/13.6)Sin[5t - Arctan(6/12)]

That's fine, have you got the answer to part b)?

b) A voltage which rises linearly from zero to V volts, where V = 10 Volts.

Define the voltage in the circuit as the following piecewise continuous function:

V(t) = 0 (t = 0)

V(t) = mt (m = constant, 0 < t < a)

V(t) = V (t > a)

Therefore the Laplace Transform of V(t) = [Integral from 0 to Infinity]{exp(-st)V(t) dt}

T{V(t)} = [Integral from 0 to a]{exp(-st)mt dt} + [Integral from a to infinity]{exp(-st)V dt}

T{V(t)} = m[(-t exp(-st)/s) + (exp(-st)/s^2)][Evaluated from 0 to a]

+ [V(exp(-st)/(-s)][Evaluated from a to infinity]

T{V(t)} = m{[(1 - as)exp(-sa) - 1]/s^2} + V[exp(-sa)/s]

Therefore in the s domain, the equation is:

[sR + s^2L + (1/C)]I(s) = m{[(1 - as)exp(-sa) - 1]/s^2} + V[exp(-sa)/s]

I(s) = {m{[(1 - as)exp(-sa) - 1]/s^2} + V[exp(-sa)/s]} /[sR + s^2L + (1/C)]

If V = 10 Volts, R = 12 ohms, L = 2 H and C = 0.05 F then:

I(s) = {m{[(1 - as)exp(-sa) - 1]/s^2} + V[exp(-sa)/s]} /[2s^2 + 12s + 20]

Finding i(t) is now a matter of finding the inverse transform of the above equation.

This is as far as I could get with my present knowledge. Perhaps MathCAD could be used to find the inverse transform of this equation in order to find i(t). I don't presently have a copy of MathCAD to do this myself.

Neither do i have a copy of MathCad that's why i asked you!

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Ok thanks