Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

Over the past two decades, the United States has __________.

Customer Question
A. had trade deficits in...
Over the past two decades, the United States has __________. A. had trade deficits in about as many years as it has trade surpluses. B. generally had, or been very near to a trade balance. C. persistently had a trade deficit. D. persistently had a trade surplus. 28) A manager's ability to stimulate people to be high performers is referred to as: A. Leading B. Planning C. Organizing D. Supervising E. Controlling 29) ABC International carefully watches the actions of its most innovative competitor and learns from them. ABC can establish a low-cost position by: A. Learning from the leader thereby avoiding the costs and risks of technology leadership B. Making subtle changes to the product, thereby avoiding patent restrictions C. Producing an imitation of the new technology that utilizes lower-quality and lower-cost materials D. Technology followers are not successful at low-cost strategies E. Mass-producing products that have an established market niche 30) Which of these represent skills that managers need? A. Professional, technical and interpersonal & communication B. Interpersonal & communication, conceptual & decision making and professional C. Technical, interpersonal & communication and conceptual & decision making D. Interpersonal, quantitative, and professional E. Conceptual & decision making, professional and technical 31) Teams that operate separately from the regular work structure and exist temporarily are known as: A. Transnational teams B. Management teams C. Self-managed teams D. Self-designing teams E. Parallel teams 32) Building a dynamic organization is another way of describing which function of management? A. Staffing B. Planning C. Controlling D. Leading E. Organizing 33) Which of these describes a vision, as it pertains to leadership? A. A short-term goal of an organization B. A long-term goal of an organization C. Likely to land you in a padded room D. The method through which leaders achieve goals E. A mental image of a future state of an organization 34) The areas described in the text as the most dominant in the global economy include: A. Western Europe, Asia and Africa B. North America, Western Europe and Asia C. North America, Asia and Africa D. North America, South America and Western Europe E. North America, Mexico and Asia 35) One study found that manufacturing labor costs about _____ an hour in China, compared to _____ dollars in the United States. A. Less than $1; about 40 B. Less than $1; about 15 C. $2; about 25 D. Less than $1; about 25 E. About $2; about 15 36) The term used to refer to all kinds of differences including religious affiliation, age, disability status, economic class and lifestyle in addition to gender, race, ethnicity and nationality is: A. Managerial ethics B. Diversity C. Recruiting D. Selection E. Employment 37) Listening to employee suggestions, gaining support for organizational objectives and fostering an atmosphere of teamwork are all considered: A. Conceptual B. Technical skills C. Professional skills D. Diagnostic skills E. Interpersonal/communication skills 38) The Aquatic Center, Inc. periodically reviews the goals of the company. During the process, The Aquatic Center managers analyze their current strategies as compared to their competitors, determine goals that they will pursue and decide upon specific actions for each area of the company to take in pursuit of these goals. The Aquatic Center managers have been engaged in the management function of: A. Staffing B. Organizing C. Controlling D. Goal Coordination E. Planning 39) When a company establishes technology leadership by pioneering unique products or services that command premium prices, it has benefited from a: A. Differentiation strategy B. High-cost strategy C. Diversification strategy D. Low-cost strategy E. High-price strategy 40) Which of these refers to the practices aimed at discovering and harnessing an organization's intellectual resources? A. Effectiveness B. Collaboration C. Competitiveness D. Innovation E. Knowledge management 41) A series of quality standards developed by a committee working under the International Organization for Standardization to improve total quality in all businesses for the benefit of both producers and consumers is: A. Customer-based integration B. Total quality management C. Computer-integrated manufacturing (CIM) D. ISO 9000 E. Just-in-time control (JIT) 42) Two events are complementary when __________. A. the sum of their probabilities is one B. None of these C. the joint probability of the two events is one D. they are mutually exclusive 43) Which of the following statements is true? A. If A and B are independent events, the P(B) = P(A) P(B). B. If event (A) occurs, then its complement (A') will also occur. C. The sum of two mutually exclusive events is one. D. The probability of A and its complement (A') will always sum to one. 44) Use the following table to answer question: P(M A) is approximately _____. A. .25 B. .125 C. .50 D. .625 45) From its 32 regions, the Federal Aviation Administration selects 5 regions, and then randomly audits 20 departing commercial flights in each region for compliance with legal fuel and weight requirements. This is __________. A. stratified random sampling B. simple random sampling C. cluster sampling D. judgement sampling 46) Dullco Manufacturing claims that its alkaline batteries last forty hours on average in a certain type of portable CD player. Tests on a random sample of 18 batteries showed a mean battery life of 37.8 hours with a standard deviation of 5.4 hours. In a left-tailed test at = .05 we would __________. A. feel uncomfortable with either decision (too close) B. switch to alpha of 0.01 for a more powerful test C. comfortably accept the claim D. comfortably reject the claim 47) To estimate the average annual expenses of students on books and class materials a sample of size 36 is taken. The average is $850 and the standard deviation is $54. A 99% confidence interval for the population mean is __________. A. $826.82 to $873.18 B. $825.48 to $874.52 C. $832.36 to $867.64 D. $823.72 to $876.28 48) While glancing over the sensitivity report, you note that the stitching labor has a shadow price of $10 and a lower limit of 24 hours with an upper limit of 36 hours. If your original right hand value for stitching labor was 30 hours, you know that: A. you can send someone home 6 hours early and still pay them the $60 they would have earned while on the clock. B. the next worker that offers to work an extra 8 hours should receive at least $80. C. you would be willing pay up to $60 for someone to work another 6 hours. D. you would lose $80 if one of your workers missed an entire 8 hour shift. 49) You are faced with a linear programming objective function of: Max P = $20X + $30Y and constraints of: 3X + 4Y = 24 (Constraint A) 5X – Y = 18 (Constraint B) You discover that the shadow price for Constraint A is 7.5 and the shadow price for Constraint B is 0. Which of these statements is TRUE? A. For every additional unit of the objective function you create, you lose 0 units of B. B. You can change quantities of X and Y at no cost for Constraint B. C. For every additional unit of the objective function you create, the price of A rises by $7.50. D. The most you would want to pay for an additional unit of A would be $7.50. 50) Likely reasons for inaccurate control limits would include which of the following? A. The engineers were underpaid for their work. B. The engineering parameter for variance is unknown. C. There was insufficient preliminary sampling. D. Process variation was not zero, as expected. 51) A project has three paths. A–B–C has a length of 25 days. A–D–C has a length of 15 days. Finally, A–E–C has a length of 20 days. Which one of the following statements is TRUE? A. A–B–C has the most slack. B. A–D–C is the critical path. C. The expected duration of this project is 25 days. D. The expected duration of this project is 25 + 15 + 20 = 60 days. 52) Which one of the following statements concerning production and staffing plans is best? A. A staffing plan is the intermediate link between the business plan and the master production schedule. B. Aggregation can be performed along three dimensions: product families, labor, and time. C. Production plans are based primarily on information from the master production plan. D. A master production schedule is a projected statement of income, costs, and profits. 53) It is very difficult to manage data for which of the following reasons? A. decreasing amount of external data needs to be considered B. amount of data stays about the same over time C. data are scattered throughout organizations D. data security is easy to maintain E. data are stored in the same format throughout organizations 54) Which of the following are disadvantages of the buy option for acquiring IS applications? A. company will not have control over software improvements B. software may not exactly meet the company’s needs C. software may be impossible to modify D. software may not integrate with existing systems E. all of the these are disadvantages 55) Fundamental points about network computing in organizations include all of the following except: A. Networks can be of any size, from small to enormous B. Computers constantly exchange data C. Computer data exchange provides significant advantages to organizations D. Networks have had limited impact on organizational productivity E. Networks support new ways of doing business 56) The costs of delivering products in the _____ channel are much higher than delivering products in the _____ channel. A. digital, physical B. e-commerce, digital C. digital, e-commerce D. physical, financial E. physical, digital 57) When your purchases are swiped over the bar-code reader at the point-of-sale terminals at Wal-Mart, a _____ records the data. A. dashboard B. transaction processing system C. functional area information system D. enterprise resource planning system E. office automation system 63) Suppose you determine that the NPV of a project is $1,525,855. What does that mean? A. The project’s IRR would have to be less that the firm’s discount rate. B. In all cases, investing in this project would be better than investing in a project that has an NPV of $850,000. C. Under all conditions, the project’s payback would be less than the profitability index. D. The project would add value to the firm. 64) Bondholders have a priority claim on assets ahead of: A. creditors. B. common and preferred stockholders. C. investors D. shareholders. 65) Which of the following best represents operating income? A. Income from discontinued operations B. Income after financing activities C. Income from capital gains D. Earnings before interest and taxes 66) Petrified Forest Skin Care, Inc. pays an annual perpetual dividend of $1.70 per share. If the stock is currently selling for $21.25 per share, what is the expected rate of return on this stock? A. 13.6% B. 36.13% C. 8.0% D. 12.5% 67) Your company is considering an investment in a project which would require an initial outlay of $300,000 and produce expected cash flows in Years 1 through 5 of $87,385 per year. You have determined that the current after-tax cost of the firm’s capital (required rate of return) for each source of financing is as follows: Cost of debt 8% Cost of preferred stock 12% Cost of common stock 16% Long-term debt currently makes up 20% of the capital structure, preferred stock 10%, and common stock 70%. What is the net present value of this project? A. $1,568 B. $463 C. $1,241 D. $871 68) Bell Weather, Inc. has a beta of 1.25. The return on the market portfolio is 12.5%, and the risk-free rate is 5%. According to CAPM, what is the required return on this stock? A. 15.62% B. 20.62% C. 14.37% D. 9.37% 69) PepsiCo calculates unlevered betas for each peer group in order to: A. eliminate different financial risks. B. eliminate different business risks. C. eliminate judgment factors. D. eliminate competitive factors. 70) Dublin International Corporation’s marginal tax rate is 40%. It can issue three-year bonds with a coupon rate of 8.5% and par value of $1,000. The bonds can be sold now at a price of $938.90 each. The underwriters will charge $23 per bond in flotation costs. Determine the appropriate after-tax cost of debt for Dublin International to use in a capital budgeting analysis. A. 7.2% B. 4.5% C. 6.0% D. 5.2% 71) A machine costs $1,000, has a three-year life, and has an estimated salvage value of $100. It will generate after-tax annual cash flows (ACF) of $600 a year, starting next year. If your required rate of return for the project is 10%, what is the NPV of this investment? (Round your answerwer to the nearest $10.) A. -$150 B. $490 C. $900 D. $570 72) Forward rates are quoted: A. on financial statements B. in direct form and at a premium or discount C. by the FDIC D. daily E. in an indirect form 73) At what rate must $400 be compounded annually for it to grow to $716.40 in 10 years? A. 5% B. 6% C. 7% D. 8% 74) Given the following annual net cash flows, determine the IRR to the nearest whole percent of a project with an initial outlay of $1,520. Year Net Cash Flow 1 $1,000 2 $1,500 3 $ 500 A. 40% B. 48% C. 32% D. 28% 75) Which of the following represents an attempt to measure the earnings of the firm’s operations over a given time period? A. Cash flow statement B. Balance sheet C. Income statement D. Quarterly statement
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Homework
Scott
Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate