Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

Legal and etichal enviromnent of business

Customer Question
Read these landmark cases: Heart of...
Read these landmark cases:

Heart of Atlanta Hotel v. U.S.
(http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=case&court=US&vol=379&page=241)

Katzenbach v. McClung
(http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=379&invol=294),

These cases upheld the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as being a constitutional exercise of Congressional power under the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution. The leisure group of BSSL owns and operates several hotels and casinos, one of which is "The Queen of The Nile" casino, on the Mississippi River waterfront in New Orleans. This Egyptian themed hotel and casino is quite popular with Arab-Americans and visitors who are citizens of nations in the Middle East and Northern Africa.
Recent events in the Middle East have led to an increase in anti-Arab sentiment, and several fringe groups have actually resorted to violence against persons who appear or are believed to be of Middle Eastern decent and damage to properties they own or frequent. In recent weeks, BSSL and the hotel have received threats against the property and its guests via mail, phone, and e-mail. In response, BSSL has circulated a memo to employees advising them of the threats and has increased security patrols on the premises. Last night, one or more snipers shot at arriving and departing guests who appeared to be of Middle Eastern descent; two guests and one employee were injured and there was damage to several doors and windows near the hotel entrance.

Additional threats against the hotel have been received, threatening bombings and additional violence unless BSSL stops allowing persons believed to be Arab-Americans or others of Middle Eastern descent to stay at or visit the hotel property; several employees have claimed to be sick and have failed to appear at work this morning; Arab-American groups and others are threatening a boycott of BSSL products and services worldwide if the company acquiesces to the blackmail.

Discuss the legal and ethical considerations raised by this situation and make a recommendation to the Board as to what actions BSSL should take.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Homework
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/1/2010
Tutor: Research Expert, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Research Expert
The FBI says:
Investigating hate crimes—attacks motivated by bias—is our top civil rights priority because of the terrible toll it takes on communities and families. From
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cid/civilrights/civilrts.htm
The Board should make sure the incidents were reported to the FBI civil rights and domestic terrorism divisions.

You wrote:

Additional threats against the hotel have been received, threatening bombings and additional violence unless BSSL stops allowing persons believed to be Arab-Americans or others of Middle Eastern descent to stay at or visit the hotel property;

The Board cannot cave in to those threats and start discriminating against people who look Arabian. Doing that would violate the Civil Rights Act.

The Board should announce that it supports the civil rights of all people, and will continue to provide casino and hotel services to all without any discrimination and will not be intimidated by threats made by ignorant racists.
Race is not a scientific concept, see
http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=9581
Humans are all one species. Racists are obviously ignorant of that fact.

The board should continue to upgrade security to state of the art levels.

The board could consider offering a reward for information leading to the arrest of anyone responsible for shooting at the property or guests or employees.

I hope this information is helpful.

can you make it 350 words>

I cannot ethically do your homework assignment for you but I can help, which is what I tried to do. You can fill it out yourself by adding a few sentences abut how the board has to follow the law even if the better business decision in the short term might be to cave in the to the threats.

ethical considerations: endangering employees and guests by obeying the civil rights laws. but the board cannot let itself be blackmailed
Research Expert
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Research Expert
Research Expert
Research Expert, Lawyer