3. Which of the following sentences contains an italicized word that’s used as a
A. Jerry looks at the map.
B. Jerry looks ill today.
C. Jerry looks into the microscope.
D. Jerry looks disdainfully at the pile of laundry.
4. Which sentence below contains a correctly used modifier in italics?
A. He spoke sharply to his sister.
B. I feel badly because I lost the race.
C. The sauce tasted bitterly, and I couldn’t swallow it.
D. Joe looked sad at his broken bike.
5. Choose the sentence that’s written in the passive voice.
A. To Kill a Mockingbird was written by Harper Lee.
B. Watch for the turn at the corner of the block.
C. Alan and James know how to tell a story.
D. The president was trying to develop his country’s economy.
6. Choose the sentence in which the italicized pronoun agrees in number with its italicized
antecedent or antecedents.
A. Maureen called the children for her meal.
B. The waiter refilled their glasses as they emptied it.
C. Mary and Jill won’t eat her vegetables.
D. The boys want their dessert now.
7. Which one of the following sentences demonstrates correct subject-verb agreement?
A. Elena thinks five dollars are a lot of money.
B. A number of my friends have bought new cars recently.
C. Each of his sisters go to a different school.
D. Robert’s friend Steve, as well as his wife, are going to the fair.
8. Which sentence is written in the active voice?
A. The test will be offered several times this week.
B. We were told to wait until five o’clock for the delivery.
C. Formal clothing must be worn to Kim’s wedding.
D. Rick and Kate built the house with their own hands.
9. Choose the simple subject in the following sentence.
The tallest contestant won the prize.
A. contestant C. won
B. tallest D. prize
10. Choose the sentence in which the verb has a direct object.
A. She is insecure. C. George was furious.
B. I walked away. D. They won the game.
11. Choose the sentence that contains an indirect object.
A. It is difficult to save money.
B. I worked hard each day.
C. They gave me a bonus.
D. I spent it immediately.
12. Choose the simple predicate in the following sentence.
The men finished the game in a short time.
A. men C. game
B. finished D. in
13. Which sentence demonstrates correct use of modifiers?
A. Kendah found a broken glass washing her dishes.
B. Startled by the noise, the alarm clock was knocked on the floor.
C. Standing on a chair, I was just able to reach the high window.
D. Rocco gave snacks to his friends in plastic bags.
14. Choose the sentence that has a subject complement.
A. The nurse felt my pulse.
B. I felt much better.
C. The day ended with many surprises.
D. We can’t leave without seeing her.
15. In which sentence are the conjunctions used correctly?
A. Either Fred nor John knew about the accident.
B. The top award was given to neither Steve or Jim.
C. Neither beauty nor popularity was considered in the contest.
D. Mary enjoyed neither roller skating or ice skating.
16. Which of the following groups of words is a sentence fragment?
A. When we stopped by the garden.
B. We stopped; she didn’t.
C. Take the flowers to your mother.
D. When did you go?
17. The part of speech that answers the question “which one” is a/an
A. preposition. C. adjective.
B. conjunction. D. adverb.
18. Which of the following sentences uses a preposition properly?
A. Where is David at?
B. Connor waited in line while Ava parked the car.
C. I might of lent him the book, if he had asked.
D. There was a big argument between Megan, Abira, and Lena.
19. The following phrases are bullet points in a letter. Which one is not in parallel form?
A. Increase sales support staff C. Run market test with Group A
B. Don’t forget marketing plan D. Decrease overhead
20. Which of these is a run-on sentence?
A. I went home and ate and ate.
B. Before lunch, I played volleyball; after lunch, I played again.
C. I thought about what he’d said soon I realized he was right.
D. You and I and the whole team will go.
21. Which of the following sentences has a compound predicate?
A. Heather and Casey played basketball and tennis all day.
B. With the right investments, Steve thinks he can get rich.
C. My whole family enjoys skiing and snowboarding.
D. Yesterday I cleaned and painted my kitchen.
22. If you want to make your writing personal and direct for your audience, which one of
the following pronouns should you use?
A. He C. They
B. We D. You
23. In which of the following sentences is the word run used as an action verb?
A. Mark competed in the five-mile run.
B. Carly had a runny nose and a cough.
C. Michelle runs every day at five o’clock.
D. Eric put Ginger in the dog run before he went out.
24. Which of the following sentences contains two adverbs?
A. Enrique is an extremely talented baseball player.
B. Alana quickly ran across the bridge.
C. Jim finished the paint job very efficiently.
D. Bridget owns a huge black dog.
25. Which of the following sentences contains three prepositions?
A. Ben has done without a car for six months.
B. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs.
C. The boys might have cooperated if they had not been chosen last.
D. Jamila crept down the stairs, through the hall, and into the kitchen.
Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1ajy8-penn-foster-test-using-parts#ixzz0RwiEm3ZS