Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

1. Which of the following is not one of the four most common

differences between Standard English and some...
1. Which of the following is not one of the four most common differences
between Standard English and some common dialects?
A. Subject-verb agreement
B. Word order
C. Use of the verb “to be”
D. Use of present tense for past tense
2. “You have a great idear” is an example of a/an
A. drawl.
B. omission.
C. dialect.
D. second language blending.3. The best way to handle a child who sometimes stutters is to
A. tell the child’s family about the stuttering.
B. tell the child that he or she is stuttering.
C. wait patiently for him to continue.
D. reward the child when he or she doesn’t stutter.
4. According to your textbook, planned activities should
A. always take place as planned.
B. take place with little attention to child interest.
C. never change once the activity has started.
D. be evaluated after presentation.
5. Liza pretends to read and likes to draw letters. Her teacher believes that she understands
a great deal about literacy. This is characteristic of which of the following approaches
to literacy?
A. Early literacy C. Phonetic awareness
B. Cultural literacy D. Phonemic awareness
6. Which of the following is the most appropriate response a teacher can make to a child
who has just said, “My shoe is unlaceted”?
A. “Yes, it’s unlaced. Let’s see.”
B. “Come here. I’ll tie it.”
C. “Yes, your shoe is untied. I’ll show you how to tie it. First you need to take this string
and pull.”
D. “It’s untied or unlaced, not unlaceted.”
7. When considering listening ability, which of the following is true?
A. Parents do a good job in teaching infants to listen.
B. Speech precedes other language arts and depends on listening skill.
C. Listening skill involves one-half of a two-way process.
D. The better a child listens, the sooner he articulates.
8. The teacher statement that’s most appropriate to promote listening at the beginning of an
activity is
A. “Stop talking and listen.”
B. “It’s my turn to talk and your turn to listen.”
C. “Bill, you’re not listening. Please don’t say another word. I like the way Nicole is
listening.”9. The language characteristic that a child from a disadvantaged background may possess is
A. stuttering.
B. few gestures and little body language.
C. difficulty in comparing ideas or seeing similar qualities in objects.
D. a wide vocabulary.
10. In planning activities, preschool teachers must be sure to
A. rely on plans developed for the previous year.
B. find activities in idea books.
C. base activities on identified goals.
D. use only original ideas.
11. Which of the following is the best teacher response to a child who has just said, “I want to
paint picture”?
A. “It’s not your turn yet, Mark.”
B. “We share and take turns, Mark. You’ll have to wait. Go play with something
else for now.”
C. “It will be your turn next, Mark.”
D. “When Andre and Dustin finish, it will be your turn to paint a picture.”
12. Most important when considering the teacher’s manner of speaking is the use of
A. language patterns that are familiar and natural.
B. the use of interesting dialect.
C. short sentences or phrases.
D. correct syntax and intonation.
13. Early childhood centers should
A. have a planned approach in the teaching of children’s listening skills.
B. concentrate on speaking, writing, and reading activities since children should learn to
listen on their own.
C. create situations where children won’t be rewarded if they don’t listen.
D. let children’s listening skills develop on their own.
14. When a sound occurs, a person
A. immediately recognizes the sound.
B. thinks about the sound’s features.
C. initially blocks the sound out.
D. uses a memory of the sound to understand it.
15. When used by a skilled teacher, a web is a
A. strategy that won’t work. Webs are for novice teachers only.
B. well-defined plan that can be used over and over.
C. useful evaluation technique for assessing discrete child skills.
D. mapping strategy that helps teachers explore possible activities.
D. “Please listen, children, or you won’t be allowed to play the game.”
16. Receptive language refers to the
A. feedback children receive as they begin to speak.
B. language children speak.
C. language children understand.
D. language children speak to each other.
17. Standard English is the language of
A. all professional teachers.
B. textbooks used in the United States.
C. children in all parts of the United States.
D. people who speak bilingual English.
18. Evaluating an activity after it’s presented
A. is unnecessary if it’s well planned.
B. has little value since the activity is already over.
C. can pinpoint strengths and weaknesses.
D. ensures that activities don’t develop in unexpected ways.
19. When considering the value of play, which of the following statements is most accurate?
A. Play has little to do with language acquisition; however, it helps develop motor skills.
B. Play shouldn’t include the teacher.
C. Play should involve prereading skills to have the most benefit.
D. Play experiences should be diverse and abundant.
20. A child’s listening ability
A. doesn’t develop until after infancy.
B. is an innate ability.
C. is critical for social interactions and cognitive development.
D. can’t be improved with practice.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/10/2009
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work

Hello Mr.Chris

How sure are you about your answers, because I am 100 percent positive that 1. is B. word order and 14. is B.thinks about the sound's features

HelloCustomer

Thanks for your response.

Numbers 1. & 14. each seemed to have two possible answers and I choose the one I believed to be best. After a bit more research, I would agree with you on #1. Also, I think #14. could very well be answered: B. thinks about the sound's features (although this answer seems to apply more to an infant or small child than "a person" in general).

Regardless, if you are 100% sure go with your answers on these two.

Hello again Mr. Chris,

I went along with my answer for #1 and #14 and they were correct. I recieved a 90% on my test. #5 was A. early literacy and #16 was C. language children speak to each other

I actually had #16 C. before changing it to A. I was only about 50% sure about C.

But, that's okay I am very happy that you help me pass the test. Thanks alot Mr. Chris for your help. I look forward to your assistants in the future.

Chris M.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work