Assignment 4: Weekly summary
Part1) Using the concept of demand characteristics, describe what caused the subjects to persist in the meaningless tasks and to perform the dangerous tasks described in Orne's studies. How do these examples illustrate the need for double-blind studies, and how do they control for the placebo effect? Do you think that it would be possible to conduct Orne's studies in a double blind fashion?
The experiments that were involved in the Orne's study were pretty meaningless, yet very interesting. I believe that it goes to show how people really are and shows the true character of individuals, meaning they probably would not perform these task if they were not in some sort of mind altering state. I have to say that I am not familiar with the concept of hypnosis and unsure of what state a person is really in while they are in this mind altering situation; with that being said, in my reading I realized that most people would not have done these meaningless things if they were not under hypnosis. I find it most interesting though that in the text book it mentions about different cultures and how they adapt to ideas and behaviors that are passed down from one generation to the next. In the previous article it said that in the Orne's studies people were actually willing to pick up snakes barehanded, which I think is totally ridiculous; however, in some cultures this is something that is done for fun. Double-blind studies, I believe are very helpful in many situations. With that being said I do not believe that a double-blind study should have been done with the Orne's tasks. For one, it would be too dangerous with some people not knowing what was going on. Also going back to hypnosis, wouldn't a person know if they were in that state of mind anyway? In the placebo effect I believe that the double-blind study is very useful. I completely agree with what the book says about " Just thinking you are getting the treatment can boost your spirits, relax your body, and relieve your symptoms."
Part 2) 1. What are the requirements for being a student affiliate of APA? What are the annual dues? - The requirements for being a student affiliate of APA is if you are a graduate or undergraduate student taking psychology you are eligible to become an apa student affiliate.
2. What is PsychINFO? - PsychINFO is an abstract database of psychological literature from the 1800s to the present. An essential tool for researchers, PsycINFO combines a wealth of content with precise indexing so you can get just what you need easily. (http://www.apa.org/psycinfo/
3 List three journals published by the APA. - Three journals that are published by APA include: American Psychologist, Psychology of Addictive Disorders Behaviors, and Journal of Applied Psychology
4.List three major divisions of APA and briefly summarize the goals of each.
- Division 33, commits to learning more about the treatment of mental retardation and developmental disabilities. Mainly focusing on the scientific parts of these subjects.
- Division 44, commits to learning more about Gays, Lesbians, and Bisexuals. They are a supportive group and promote relevant research on human sexual orientations.
- Division 28 focuses more on drug addictions and finding out ways to treat people that are addicted to drugs.
5. Briefly describe one goal of APS. - One goal of APS is to promote, protect, and advance the interests of scientifically oriented psychology in research, application, teaching, and the improvement of human welfare. (http://www.psychologicalscience.org
6. List three journals published by the APS. Journals that are published by APS include: Psychological Science, Perspectives on Psychological science and Current directions in Psychological Science
7.Identify one important historical event in psychology that occurred on your birthday. - On July 27, 1951 - The Human Resources Research Office (HumRRO) was founded by an agreement between the U.S. Army and XXXXX XXXXX University. HumRRO investigates psychological warfare, leadership, morale, and training. Army Chief Psychologist Harry Harlow conceived the idea of HumRRO and Meredith Crawford was its first director. HumRRO's name is XXXXX XXXXX Human Resources Research Organization. (http://www.cwu.edu
8.The annual dues for being an APA member. This question was asked in the first question. They are listed below.
$52 for graduate students
$27 for undergraduate students
$27 for high school students
- SUMMARY: Write a summary of the 2 parts above reading, on what you read making sure you covered each of the main points. The summary can be an outline of the information or in paragraph form.
- REVIEW: Pick one topic from the summary and find an outside source (not from readings) and write a review of the article/source that you found.
o DO NOT USE WIKIPEDIA
o Acceptable places to find articles are the South University Library Online Data Bases. The two main data bases that you can use are EBSCOHOST and PROQUEST (accessed through LIRN). The data bases use keyword searches so just type in the topic and you should get several articles related to the topic. Other sources include government web sites and professional organizations (such as the American Psychological Association).
o Use the following as a guide on what will be covered in your article/source review.
? Write a review for the source of information.
? Evaluate the main points of the article and relate it to your course and text readings.
- The assignment will be one document with a heading for the summary and a heading for your article/source review. The length of assignment should be no less than 2-3 pages (1-2 for the summary and 1 page for the review)
- The document will be written in APA format which includes double space (single space for the references) use of citations in the body of your writing and having a list of references. The assignment will have a title page that includes your name, date, course and assignment. The assignment will have a separate page for the references (with a heading reference) which should include a reference for your text and the outside source used. The title page and reference page are not included as part of the 2-3 pages.
Assignment is due Friday the 10th
This is a new question that I posted. Can you take a look please? I would like your feedback at your earliest convenient please. Thanks a million and I am so sorry to keep you so busy.
The other one is already to late.