Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

I want to know (Iwant to send them to someone) if several ...

Customer Question
I want to know (Iwant...
I want to know (Iwant to send them to someone) if several pieces of poetry that I have written are limerick poetry or just a collections of words that rhyme. I have studied how to structure limerick poetry, so I do not need that information. Are there ever collections of limerick poetry? When I can sleep these things keep rolling around in my mind.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Homework
2/3/2008
Tutor: The Professor, Taught at USC Years Ago replied 9 years ago
The Professor
The Professor, Taught at USC Years Ago
Limericks have the following form:

"There once was a fellow named Bright
Who could travel much faster than light.
He set out one day
In a relative way
And returned the previous night."

"...A limerick is a five-line poem with a strict form, originally popularized in English by Edward Lear. Limericks are frequently witty or humorous, and sometimes obscene with humorous intent.

The following example of a limerick is of anonymous origin.

The limerick packs laughs anatomical
    Into space that is quite economical,

But the good ones I've seen
        So seldom are clean,

And the clean ones so seldom are comical. ..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerick_(poetry)

Thus limericks are poetry of a special kind, but not all poetry is limericks.

There are collections of limericks, some even fit for mixed company, although some of the collections I've read are really poor examples, where the last line is essentially an echo of the first.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=limericks&category0=

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/103-8802373-9743818?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=limericks&x=17&y=24

The only way to determine whether it is a "good" collection or not is, unfortunately, to buy the collection and see for yourself.

Major libraries might lend comparable books, if you didn't feel like buying them without knowing the contents. But even crummy collections have some good ones.

Too bad Just Answer is a site with family values, there are several that I can't share with you here.

"...Gershon Legman, who compiled the largest and most scholarly anthology, held that the true limerick, as a folk form, is always obscene, and cites similar opinions by XXXXX XXXXX and George Bernard Shaw, describing the clean limerick as a periodic fad and object of magazine contests, rarely rising above mediocrity. That is to say, from a folkloric point of view, the form is essentially transgressive; violation of taboo is part of its function...."

(from the same Wikipedia page)

But if yours are reasonably "clean", post them here, I can judge whether they are or are not limericks and offer my opinions.

"...A limerick has five lines, with three metrical feet in the first, second and fifth lines and two metrical feet in the third and fourth lines. A variety of types of metrical foot can be used, but the most typical are the amphibrach (a stressed syllable between two unstressed syllables) and the anapaest (two unstressed syllables followed by a stressed syllable). The rhyme scheme is usually AABBA.

The first line of a limerick traditionally introduces a person and a place, with the place appearing at the end of the first line and therefore establishing the rhyme scheme for the second and fifth lines. In early limericks, the last line was often essentially a repeat of the first line, although this is no longer customary...."

I will close with one that barely qualifies:

There was a young girl named Anheuser
Who said that no man could surprise her.
But Old Overholt
Sure gave her a jolt
And now she is sadder Budweiser.

(more here at:)

http://www.fgrubbs.com/frankhome/limerick.htm

I do not understand the processes. Can I send you several examples of my work and you tell me if they are limericks, or just collections of rhyming words, I know all the definitions you sent to me and appreciate the examples, but I am interested in what I have done. So, should I send you my work or make my decisions on the basis of the definitions that you sent to me?
thanks,

Post them here and I will evaluate them.

Where do I post them? In this box that says, "Reply wo we can help your better"?

I do not mind paying you. It is my not understanding the procedures.

Copy them as a text document and paste them in the dialogue box where you wrote your last note beginning "Where do I post them..."
The Professor
The Professor, Taught at USC Years Ago
HOSPICE HOUSE
There is a house of sanctuary
Who’s reputation is legendary
Love is share by staff and volunteers
To relieve pain and tears
For death is not reversionary

GROW HAIR
Once a man wanted to grow hair
His friends said go sleep with a bear
For a while all went well
The Bear awoke because of the smell
Of the Man’s underwear

REUNIONS
Reunions are to see old friends
To renew affections that supposed never ends
For the graduate’s spouse
He would rather be watching TV at his house
Than to watch his wife pretend

THE GIRL FROM SEOUL
I once dated a girl from Seoul
She looked nice except for the Skoal
Her teeth had a split
Made it easier to spit
But her breath smell like a trool
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
The Professor
The Professor
The Professor, Taught at USC Years Ago