Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

examination #00480100 Practical Exer For Instr PK1 Auto Tech

1.   An automotive bolt has a...
1.   An automotive bolt has a designation of ½-13 UNC. Auto Technician A says this bolt is a coarse-thread bolt. Auto Technician B says the bolt has a diameter of 13 millimeters. Which of the following statements is correct?
     A. Only Technician A is correct.
     B. Only Technician B is correct.
     C. Both Technician A and Technician B are correct.
     D. Neither Technician A nor Technician B is correct.

2.   An engine is described as being a V-6, 90-degree engine. Which of the following statements about this engine is correct?
     A. The angle between each of the crankshaft journals is 90 degrees.
     B. The angle between the crankshaft and the camshaft is 90 degrees.
     C. The angle between the two rows of cylinders is 90 degrees.
     D. A cylinder will fire once for every 90 degrees of crankshaft revolution.

3.   Two auto technicians are discussing the stages of engine operation. Auto Technician A says during the intake stage of engine operation, the intake valve is open and the piston is moving upward in the cylinder. Auto Technician B says the intake stage of engine operation is directly followed by the power stage. Which of the following statements is correct?
     A. Only Technician A is correct.
     B. Only Technician B is correct.

Figure A-1—Use this illustration to answer Question 4.
(Courtesy of Snap-On Tools Company, Copyright Owner)

4.   Look at the tool shown in Figure A-1. Auto Technician A says this tool is used to remove or replace oil filters. Auto Technician B says this tool is useful because it can be adjusted to fit all component sizes. Which of the following statements is correct?
     A. Only Technician A is correct.
     B. Only Technician B is correct.

Figure A-2—Use this illustration to answer Questions 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9.
(Used with permission of Mazda North American Operations)

5.   Look at the automotive engine illustrated in Figure A-2. Several parts are labeled with letters in the figure. Which of the following parts is labeled with the letter X?
     A. The crankshaft
     B. The piston pin
     C. The connecting rod
     D. The cylinder head

6.   In Figure A-2, which of the following parts is labeled with the letter M?
     A. The crankshaft
     B. The camshaft
     C. The connecting rod
     D. The cylinder head

7.   In Figure A-2, which of the following parts is labeled with the letter T?
     A. The piston rings
     B. The wrist pin
     C. The piston
     D. The connecting rod

8.   In Figure A-2, which of the following parts is labeled with the letter Z?
     A. The piston
     B. The wrist pin
     C. The connecting rod
     D. The piston ring

9.   In Figure A-2, which of the following parts is labeled with the letter V?
     A. The camshaft
     B. The crankshaft
     C. The wrist pin
     D. The connecting rod

Figure A-3—Use these engine specifications to answer Questions 10, 11, and 12.

10.   Look at the engine specifications listed in Figure A-3. Technician A says the engine described in the figure uses a fuel mixture of eight parts air to one part fuel. Technician B says the engine described in the figure contains four valves per cylinder. Which of the following statements is correct?
     A. Only Technician A is correct.
     B. Only Technician B is correct.

11.   Technician A says the engine described in Figure A-3 has two camshafts. Technician B says the engine displacement is equal to approximately 153 cubic inches. Which of the following statements is correct?
     A. Only Technician A is correct.
     B. Only Technician B is correct.

12.   Technician A says the engine described in Figure A-3 uses a carburetor to distribute the fuel. Technician B says the maximum amount of engine torque occurs at an engine speed of 7,500 rpm. Which of the following statements is correct?
     A. Only Technician A is correct.
     B. Only Technician B is correct.

Figure A-4—Use this illustration to answer Question 13.

13.   Look at the cutaway view of a typical automotive engine shown in Figure A-4. Based on your knowledge of engine operation, what stage of operation is the engine currently in?
     A. Intake
     B. Exhaust
     C. Power
     D. Compression

Figure A-5—Use this illustration to answer Question 14.
(Courtesy of L. S. Starrett Company)

14.   Look at the tool shown in Figure A-5. Auto Technician A says this tool is called a micrometer. Auto Technician B says this tool is used to measure the diameter inside a cylinder. Which of the following statements is correct?
     A. Only Technician A is correct.
     B. Only Technician B is correct.

Figure A-6—Use this illustration to answer Question 15.
(Reprinted with permission of the American Honda Motor Co., Inc.)

Note: If this illustration is not clear, be sure to check the figure in your printed booklet.

15.   Look at the automotive engine shown in Figure A-6. Using the knowledge you gained from your lessons and from this practical exercise, this engine appears to be a
     A. four-cylinder, in-line, overhead-valve engine.
     B. eight-cylinder, v-type, overhead-valve engine.
     C. eight-cylinder, in-line, overhead-cam engine.
     D. four-cylinder, in-line, overhead-cam engine.

Figure A-7—Use this illustration to answer Question 16.

16.   Figure A-7 shows a label from a typical fire extinguisher. According to this label, this fire extinguisher was designed to be used on a fire that involves
     A. burning wood, paper, or cardboard.
     B. flammable liquids, gases, and other chemicals.
     C. electrical equipment.
     D. combustible metals.

17.   Auto Technician A says the total volume of all the cylinders in an engine is called the compression ratio. Auto Technician B says horsepower is a measure of the amount of twisting force created by an engine. Which of the following statements is correct?
     A. Only Technician A is correct.
     B. Only Technician B is correct.

Figure A-8—Use this illustration to answer Question 18.

18.   Look at the automotive component shown in Figure A-8. Two parts of the component are labeled with the numbers 1 and 2. Auto Technician A says part 1 is used to transmit power from the piston to the crankshaft. Auto Technician B says part 2 prevents oil from leaking past the piston. Which of the following statements is correct?
     A. Only Technician A is correct.
     B. Only Technician B is correct.

Figure A-9—Use this illustration to answer Question 19.

19.   Look at the tool shown in Figure A-9. Auto Technician A says this tool is used to loosen bolts that are very tight. Auto Technician B says this tool is used in tight spaces where it can be placed on a bolt head in many positions. Which of the following statements is correct?
     A. Only Technician A is correct.
     B. Only Technician B is correct.

20.   A four-cylinder engine is described as having a port-type EFI fuel system. In most cases, how many injectors would you expect the engine to have?
     A. 0
     B. 1
     C. 4
     D. 8

Figure A-10—Use this illustration to answer Question 21.

21.   Look at the bolt head shown in Figure A-10. Auto Technician A says this bolt is an SAE-sized bolt. Auto Technician B says the bolt is a grade 5 bolt. Which of the following statements is correct?
     A. Only Technician A is correct.
     B. Only Technician B is correct.

22.   Auto Technician A says carbon monoxide is produced when fuel is burned in an automotive engine. Auto Technician B says automobiles don't produce enough carbon monoxide to pose a safety risk to a person working in a nonventilated shop. Which of the following statements is correct?
     A. Only Technician A is correct.
     B. Only Technician B is correct.

Figure A-11—Use this illustration to answer Question 23.

23.   Look at the tool shown in Figure A-11. Auto Technician A says this tool is called a box-end wrench. Auto Technician B says the size of this tool is determined by the diameter of the bolt that it fits. Which of the following statements is correct?
     A. Only Technician A is correct.
     B. Only Technician B is correct.

Figure A-12—Use this illustration to answer Questions 24 and 25.
(Courtesy of Chrysler Corporation)

24.   Look at the automotive engine shown in Figure A-12. Using the knowledge you gained from your lessons and from this practical exercise, this engine appears to be a
     A. single overhead cam engine that uses a timing-gear drive system.
     B. double overhead cam engine that uses a timing-belt drive system.
     C. single overhead valve engine that uses a timing-belt drive system.
     D. double overhead cam engine that uses a timing-gear drive system.

25.   Look again at the automotive engine shown in Figure A-12. Auto Technician A says that the each of the camshafts in this engine makes two revolutions for every one revolution of the crankshaft. Auto Technician B says that the camshafts in this engine rotate in the opposite direction from the crankshaft. Which of the following statements is correct?
     A. Only Technician A is correct.
     B. Only Technician B is correct.

Figure A-13—Use this illustration to answer Question 26.

26.   Figure A-13 shows the dimensions for one engine cylinder in a six-cylinder, V-type automotive engine. Technician A says the total displacement for this engine is about 173 cubic inches. Technician B says compression ratio of this engine is 4:1. Which of the following statements is correct?
     A. Only Technician A is correct.
     B. Only Technician B is correct.

Figure A-14—Use this illustration to answer Question 27.

27.   Look at the automotive component shown in Figure A-14. Two parts of the component are labeled with the numbers 1 and 2. Auto Technician A says part 1 opens the valves. Auto Technician B says part 2 provides a seal to prevent gases from leaking out of the cylinder. Which of the following statements is correct?
     A. Only Technician A is correct.
     B. Only Technician B is correct.

28.   Auto Technician A says during the power stage of engine operation, the piston is forced downward in the cylinder due to the compression of the burning air-and-fuel mixture. Auto Technician B says the power stage of engine operation is directly followed by the intake stage. Which of the following statements is correct?
     A. Only Technician A is correct.
     B. Only Technician B is correct.

Figure A-15—Use this illustration to answer Question 29.

29.   Look at the tool shown in Figure A-15. Auto Technician A says the tool shown in the figure is used to tighten bolts to a specific torque. Auto Technician B says this tool is called an impact wrench. Which of the following statements is correct?
     A. Only Technician A is correct.
     B. Only Technician B is correct.

Figure A-16—Use this illustration to answer Question 30.

30.   Look at the cutaway view of a typical automotive engine shown in Figure A-16. Based on your knowledge of engine operation, what stage of operation is the engine currently in?
     A. Intake
     B. Exhaust
     C. Compression
     D. Power
1/13/2008
viki
viki, Item Writer
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
viki
viki, Item Writer
viki
viki
viki, Item Writer