Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

An airplane flies due west at 150km/h with respect to the ...

An airplane flies due west...
An airplane flies due west at 150km/h with respect to the air. There is a wind blowing at 95 km/h to the northeast relative to the ground. What is the plane's speed with respect to the ground?
9/23/2007
Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate

Welcome back!

You can think of this as a Pythagorean Theorem problem. The hypotenuse is the unknown. One short leg is the 150km/h minus the east component of the wind. The other short leg is the north component of the wind:

east comp: 95*cos(45) -- so the total leg is 150-95*cos(45)

north comp: 95*sin(45)

The magnitude of the velocity will be:

sqrt((150-95*cos(45))^2 + (95*sin(45))^2)

= 106.64 km/h

Let me know if you have any questions,

Scott

Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Reply to Scott's Post: Can you also answer this one and i will add another $10.
You walk 20m south and 20m eas. Find the magnitude and direction of the resultant displacement both graphically and algebraically. Answer is 28.28 M what is the degrees counterclockwise from east?

Hi there!

I can help you with that as well.

The magnitude is sqrt(20^2 + 20^2) = 28.28 m

The direction is arctan(-20/20) = -45 degrees (45 degrees south of east) (but that is the same as 315 degrees counterclockwise from east).

Graphically:

graphic

Let me know if you have any questions,

Scott

Reply to Scott's Post: last one and i already accepted the last two and added in a bonus..
A weather station releases a balloon that rises at a constant 16m/s relative to the air, but there is a wind blowing at 6.0 m/s toward the west. What is the magnitude and direction of the velocity of the balloon? answer 17.07 m/s   bu how many degrees above the horizontal?

Hi again! As far as I can tell, the first answer was accepted and I got the bonus. Thanks!

The magnitude is another Pythagorean Triangle:

sqrt(16^2 + 6^2) = 17.08 m/s

The angle is given by the arctangent:

angle = arctangent(y/x)

arctan(6/16) = 20.56 degrees

Let me know if you have any questions,

Scott

That is what i had as well but it came up incorrect. Any other suggestions for that one.. the rest were all right.. does it change with the "above the horizontal"?

Could it be a rounding problem? For example, have you tried it with 20.6 degrees or 20.556 degrees?

-Scott

that didn't work either so maybe there is an error in the program.. let me know if you can think of anything else otherwise i will still accept this one because i had the same answer as well and appreciate your help..
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
that did not work either.. i am not sure what they are looking for..

Hmmm.... that is strange. Is there anyone you can contact to see if there is a bug in the program?

-Scott

i will ask the teacher tom.. thanks for your help.. i will accept the last one as well.. thanks again
Scott
Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate