Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

Compare Nixons policies of engagement to the

Customer Question
Compare Nixon's policies of engagement...
Compare Nixon's policies of engagement to the strategies used during the cold war
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Homework
8/28/2007
Tutor: Rita sharma, internet researcher,teacher replied 10 years ago
Rita sharma
Rita sharma, internet researcher,teacher

Hi khs583

Nixon's Policy of engagment concerned friendly relations with all super powers to build a more multipolar society. The strategies of Cold War on the other hand dealt with dividing the word into two sides , the communist consisting of USSR and its allies such as China and the capitalist such as United Sttes with its allies such as Western Europe and South Asia.

Nixon's Policy

Nixon dreamed of a future with more friendly relations among the major world powers -- the United States, the Soviet Union, China, Western Europe, and Japan. This would allow for ventures profitable to all. Through international cooperation, these nations might reduce revenue-draining defense expenditures and prevent the occurrence of costly Third World conflicts such as the Vietnam War.

To this end President Nixon followed a policy of engagement with the communist. Following this policy, Richard Nixon in 1972 he made his journey of reconciliation to Communist China and overturned a two-decade-old strategy of containment and isolation He wanted to engage China in friendly terms as well as have a détente with the Soviet Union so that there would be a multipolar society in the world

Nixon, knew that he would have to make concessions if he wanted friendly relations with China. He took steps to tone down the anti-China rhetoric coming from the White House, loosened trade and visa restrictions between China and the U.S., and began troop reductions in both Vietnam and on bases near China. But as U.S.-China relations warmed, the Soviets began to fear what might happen if a strong Sino-American alliance were forged. Due to this, Nixon had another victory: the Soviets had agreed to work out an antiballistic missile treaty within one year.

However, the Soviet-American détente collapsed shortly after Nixon's resignation in 1973.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/presidents/37_nixon/nixon_foreign.html

The strategies of Cold War

The Cold War is the time of clash, strain and antagonism between the United States and the Soviet Union and their particular friends from the mid-1940s until the early 1990sThere was no direct military engagement between the U.S. and the Soviet Union, but there was a half-century of military buildup. United states tried to build alliances with Western Europe and South Asia.During this period Containment was the Foreign Policy Strategy of the United States during the early period of Cold War with Soviet Union. The Policy was to stop nations from moving politically towards Soviet Union-based communism, instead of European-American-based capitalism. Defense spending was increased in USA. Containment also became the chief objective of US national security policy.

Containment refers to the tactic of isolating the enemy by cutting off supply lines. To increase the harm the enemy is subverted by using espionage and sabotage. United States will get the upper hand and it was anticipated that ultimately Soviet Union and its supporting nations would fall.

Reference

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Containment

Reply to Rita sharma's Post: thank you so much for looking into this question for me.. Unfortunatley I was able to find out what I needed before the response. Thanks again for your response and sorry for taking your time.
Rita sharma
Rita sharma