Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience:  6+ yrs of college and I still love to learn! Put my education and research skills to work for you.
3241695

1. Contemporary psychology is best defined as the science of

Conscious and unconscious mental activity
       Observable responses to the environment
       Behavior and mental processes
       Thoughts, feelings, and perceptions

2. The first psychology laboratory was established in ____by ____
        Russia: Ivan Pavlov
        Germany: Wilhelm Wundt
        Austria: Sigmund Freud
        The United States: XXXXX XXXXX

3. Karen wonders about the extent to which her calm and relaxed personality style was inherited. Karen's concern is most directly relevant to the issue of
        Stability versus change
        Behavior versus mental processes
        Nature versus nurture
        Rationality versus irrationality

4. Mrs. Thompson believes that her son has learned to play the piano because she consistently rewards him with praise and affection for practicing. Her belief best illustrates a ______ perspective.
        Social-cultural
        Behavioral
        Biological
        Cognitive

5. Dr.Kozar has concluded that the unusually low incidence of alcoholism among citizens of a small African country can be attributed to strong fundamentalist religious influences in that region. This belief best illustrates a _______ perspective
        Social-cultural
        Behavioral
        Biological
        Cognitive

6. As scientists, psychologists adopt an attitude of skepticism because they believe that
        People never reveal what they are really thinking
        Common sense ideas about human behavior are always wrong.
        Ideas about human behavior need to be objectively tested.
        All the above are true

7. The hindsight bias refers to people's tendency to
        Ignore disconfirming evidence
        Overestimate the extent to which others share their opinions
       Exaggerate their ability to foresee the out come of past events.
       Assume that correlation proves causation

8. After noting that a majority of professional basketball players are African-American, Jason concluded that African-Americans are better athletes than members of other racial groups. Jason's conclusion best illustrates the danger of
       Overconfidence
       Wording effects
        The false consensus effect
        Generalizing from extreme cases

9. In order to gain further understanding of how brain malfunctions influence behavior, Dr. Mosher extensively and carefully observed and interviewed two stroke victims and their families. He was most interested in establishing how the victims had changed since their strokes. Which research method did Dr. Mosher employ?
       Random sampling
       The survey
       The case study
        Experimentation

10. The perception that seemingly infertile couples who adopt a child are subsequently more likely to conceive a child themselves best illustrates
        The hindsight bias
        The false consensus effect
        An illusory correlation
        Replication

11. If you wanted to predict someone's academic success based on their performance on standard intelligence tests, which kind of research would be best? (Points: 1)
    The case study
    The experiment
    The survey
    Correlation research

12. If those who watch a lot of TV violence are also particularly likely to behave aggressively, this would not necessarily indicate that watching TV violence influences aggressive behavior because
     Random sequences often don't look random.
     Sampling extreme cases leads to false generalizations. .
     Correlation does not prove causation.
    Events often seem more probable in hindsight.

13. If you wanted to be able to say confidently that watching violence on television causes children to act aggressively, which of the following research strategies would you use?
      The case study
      The experiment
      The survey
      Correlation research

14. If the total number of boys and girls born each year is exactly equal, which of the following would be the most likely sequence of boys (B) and girls (G) for the next six births?
      GGGGGG
      GGGBBB
      GBGBBG
      All the above would be equally likely.

15. In order to provide a baseline against which they can evaluate the effects of a specific treatment, experimenters make use of a (n)
        Dependent variable
        Independent variable
        Experimental condition
       Control condition

16. Dr. Jones wanted to determine whether levels of anxiety have any impact on self-esteem. In an experiment designed to examine this possible relationship, self-esteem would be      .
        Dependent variable
        Independent variable
        Experimental condition
        Control condition

17. In a test of the effects of cigarette smoking on physical health and development, groups of monkeys were raised in either a smoke- free or smoke-infested environment. Monkeys in the smoke-infested environment were exposed to the
        Dependent variable
        Independent variable
        Experimental condition
        Control condition
Again, thanks for requesting me, but I don't feel qualified to answer it. I will post it in our lounge for another expert.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
thank you
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Experience: 6+ yrs of college and I still love to learn! Put my education and research skills to work for you.