Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

In experiments involving a pithball electroscope, what ...

Customer Question
In experiments involving a pithball...
In experiments involving a pithball electroscope, what causes the pithball to move?--The pith material always holds a natural positive charge, and it is attracted to the other charged objects,Electrons jump onto or off the neutral ball when a charged object comes close to it, causing it to become charged,The pithball does not become charged but it gets caught up between two other charged objects.
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Homework
10/3/2005
Tutor: xarqi, Generalist replied 12 years ago
xarqi
xarqi, Generalist
This is a bit tricky. If the charged object touches the electroscope, charge is transferred, but if it is only brought close, a temporary polarisation of charge can occur.

I'll assume that the electroscope is touched, so the answer is:
Electrons jump onto or off the neutral ball...

Reply to xarqi's Post: Hi Xarqi i feel uneasy with this one also ,so i will take a fail on that one.But don't stop helping me with the other stuff. the bonnie
xarqi
xarqi
xarqi, Generalist