Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Volume maximization-Calculus

Customer Question
A shelter for the beach...
A shelter for the beach has a back, 2 square sides and a top. Suppose that 250 square feet of canvas are to be used. Find the smallest dimension of the shelter for which the space inside the shelter (volume) will be maximized

I need to know all the steps to this. Thanks!
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Homework
4/6/2005
Tutor: Hatice Ozer, Graduate Student replied 13 years ago
Hatice Ozer
Hatice Ozer, Graduate Student

we know that

total area is let say one side X

and height is h

total area= 2x^2+4xh=250

then total volume is

x^2*h

so that we know

h=250-2x^2

----------------

4x

then we will find the volume which is

V=x^2*(250-2x^2)

-----------------------

4x

V=(250x-2x^3)/4

we will take the derivative with respect to x and equat to 0

250=6x

x=125/3

so that the base side will be 125/3

Reply to Hatice Ozer's Post: So what is the smallest dimension? I know it's between 6 and 8 feet but just can't figure out what it is
Tutor: jacket, BS degree in math replied 13 years ago
jacket
jacket, BS degree in math
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
jacket
jacket, BS degree in math
Tutor: RoberttheRocket, Teacher/tutor replied 13 years ago
RoberttheRocket
RoberttheRocket, Teacher/tutor

whoa!

don't forget the h = 250 - 2x^2/4.

Since the h = 250 - 2x^2/4x 

then t will equal (250 - 2(6.45497)^2 )/ 4(6.45497) 

=  (250 - 83.333275) / 25.81988 = 6.45497 also

so the shape of the shelter will be a  cube. 

Note:  I have a problem with this because the 250 square feet will cover the shelter (the sides, back, and top), but in the calculations, I see all six sides have been used for the surface area. (250 = x^2 + x^2 + 4xh.)

Tutor: xarqi, Generalist replied 13 years ago
xarqi
xarqi, Generalist
My assessment of the answers above:

Jacket's response is excellent.

RoberttheRocket's point is well made, but does not refer to
Jacket's answer.

Site rules prevent me from commenting openly on the quality of
Hatice Ozer's answer.
jacket
jacket
jacket, BS degree in math