Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

regression equation/ standard error of estimate

Customer Question
Having some problems. Please show...
Having some problems. Please show your work.

Mr. James McWhinney, president of Daniel-James Financial Services, believes there is a
relationship between the number of client contacts and the dollar amount of sales. To document
this assertion, Mr. McWhinney gathered the following sample information. The X column indicates
the number of client contacts last month, and the Y column shows the value of sales ($ thousands)
last month for each client sampled.

number of-----sales------number of------sales
contacts   ($thousands) contacts    ($thousands)

14            24       &n bsp;  23             30
12            14       &n bsp;  48             90
20            28       &n bsp;  50             85
16            30       &n bsp;  55            120
46            80       &n bsp;  50            110

a. Determine the regression equation.

b. Determine the estimated sales if 40 contacts are made.

c. Determine the standard error of estimate.

d. Suppose a large sample is selected (instead of just 10). About 95 percent of the predictions
regarding sales would occur between what two values?
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Homework
4/4/2005
Tutor: xarqi, Generalist replied 13 years ago
xarqi
xarqi, Generalist
Sorry - you added some stuff. I'll take another look.
Reply toCustomers Post: Awesome! anything for the other three?
Sorry about that had some issues with a glitch in posting
The working is laborious with 10 samples, so I just used excel.
It'll take time to format a complete reply with all working shown.
Reply to xarqi's Post: Do you want to e-mail your spreadsheet to me?
Tutor: skywalker, Tutor replied 13 years ago
skywalker
skywalker, Tutor
a)
from the excel sheet we find that
Y=163+10.63X+e e is the error term
b) if there are 40 contracts then
sales will be

Y= 163+10.63*40
Y=588.2 will be total sales

c)the standard error of the estimate is the Y error which is
square root of sum of (Y-Ypredicted)^2/N
then
sd=25350
I can post it here as a zipped file. I've done the derivation of the
regression line. Just working on the error analysis.

The error equations are a (&^% to work with.   I have to go
through and derive the sample standard deviation, and then get
to the standard errors in slope and intercept.

Do you really need all the working?
Reply to xarqi's Post: Not really. Just post your zipped file. Do you have a solution for all four questions? A-D?
Phew!
Yes - I have answers for A-D.

Give me 5 mins to tidy it up and I'll post the zipped file.
Reply to xarqi's Post: Awesome thanks...
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
xarqi
xarqi, Generalist
There are some minor typos in there: the equation is 2.195x - 12.01,
not 2.185x - 12.01, but you can see that from the working, the graph,
and the linest() output.

Ignore the line that says "standard error of estimate".  That was
where I was about to launch into a step by step derivation before I
confirmed with you that I could take a short cut.

Reply to xarqi's Post: This is great. Do you like your MAC? What made you go MAC? I only ask because I've been thinking about the machine myself!
The reason I use a Mac (and always have), is that I don't want to
have to shag around making the thing work. I just want to do
productive stuff, rather than struggle to keep it running.

I cringe when I am occasionally required to use a PC. M$
software absolutely sucks, and Windoze is appalling.

In 2 weeks, get a Mac with OSX 10.4 Tiger. You'll never look
back.
xarqi
xarqi
xarqi, Generalist