Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

math problem/brain tease

Customer Question
Three vistors rent a room...
Three vistors rent a room for $30. and are supposed to be refunded $5. The bellhop keeps $2 to avoid dividing $5. between the 3 visitors. He give each one $1 and calculates they paid $9. each (10-1=9) three visotors multipling the $9 equals $27.00 Right? plus the $2 that the bellhop kept equals $29. (27 + 2= 29??) where is the last dollar that makes it $30.?    I really want to know why this calculates this way, although other ways are very clear. ex $30-2=28 plus 3 from the vistors leaves $25....no problem   please explain!!!
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Homework
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/21/2005
Tutor: Diane, Parent replied 13 years ago
Diane
Diane, Parent
The only thing I can think of, if the visitors are supposed to be refunded $5.00, then the actual cost of the room is $25.00 divided by 3 visitors, which equals $8.30 a piece (instead of having rounded to $9.00 a piece (approximately .33 cents per person was rounded off, totalling nearly that $1.00). Does that make sense?
Tutor: Athanassios, Tutor replied 13 years ago
Athanassios
Well this is an old trick.
There is no confusion if you get it right :
They paid $9 each one. So 9x3 = 27$.
These $27 now belong to the hotel owner.
The remaining $3 are in their pockets ($1 each).
It is not correct to add the $2 that the bellhop kept, since you have already put this money in the calculation of the $27 (25+2).
Reply to Diane's Post: Sure it makes sense but our lazy bellhop doesn't want to divide into cents etc as you did. He pockets 2 bucks and gives each a $1 back.
The $10 each is now $9. each, correct?
The $2 is still in the bellhops pocket...leave it there for now.
3 visitors at $9 each is $27, correct?
Take the $2 from the bellhop NOW and add it to $27. and here's the magic. $29 Right??? Where's the $dollar that equals $30???
We all know that $30 - $2 (bellhop's cash)=$28
and the $3 refunded to the visitors leaves $25, right? The new discounted price of the room!!!Right,there's no trick, yet when the equation is stated as in the mind teaser, just as logical, but different answer.
I just want to have a Math expert 2 explain this to me....Curious, isn't it???
Reply to Athanassios's Post: I think you're way off base, The calculation is simple (see other answer) $30.00 initial price
                           $ 3.00 refund
equals                     $27.00 minus the
                           $ 2.00 (bellhop)
equals
                             $25.00
all money accounted for but, usuing the same # XXXXX amounts as in the riddle,does not compute!

ie                            $30.00 / 3 = $10
                                        - $ 1.
equals                                     $ 9. each
times 3 visitors =$27 in the owner's hand or not
doesn't matter, plus $2. from the bellhop.....
again $29.00     Shy a buck by anyone's math...

$30-$2 from the bellop =$28 again the refund of $1 each leaves $25 and it works in multiples ...

$60-$10 $20 each refund =$10
room is $50 (new rate)
Bell hop (lazy) give $2 back to each .$18 X 3 = $54 = $4 he kept is $58 where's the missing $2 now

Hi

Hmmm you are not getting it right...You are adding the same thing more than once...when you add the $2 to $27, you have ALREADY added them in the 27$ total (25+2 that he kept). You need not add the $2, but the $3 that they have in their pockets. It is like subtracting 1 kg of potatoes from a total of 5kg and then wonder why 1kg that you took plus 1kg that is missing don't equal the initial 5kg. I hope I helped you :)

Regards, Athanassios

Reply to Athanassios's Post: that makes no sense... $25.00 owner
               $10-$1 $9
                         $9
                         $9 =
                       $27. paid - $2(bellhop) =
                         $25 owner

but                   &nb sp;$30 (with $5 overcharge)
minus                  $ 3 (refunded)
minus                  $ 2   bellhop =
                       $25 correct rate for room.

(30-3)=27-2=25
(30-2)=28+3=31
(30-3)=27+2=29
(25+3)=28-2=26
(25+2)=27+3=30
(25+5)=30-2-3
(3+25+2)=30
(30-2-3)=2
30-2=28-3=25
or 30-3+2=29 it's in the telling of the tale
don't you think?
                      $30-$3 refunded =$27-$2is what the owner keeps $25.
but the trick is $27 paid plus $2 bellhop does not go to the owner
Tutor: xarqi, Generalist replied 13 years ago
xarqi
xarqi, Generalist
Follow the money:
$30 was paid out. The management got $25, the bellhop got
$2, and the guests got $1 each back. What's the mystery?
Reply to xarqi's Post: the money trail is not as clear in this path:
The room is $30 and $5 refunded for a price of $25.   The boss gives the bellhop $5 and he doesn't have change as in coin & tells the visitors "here's $1 each" making them pay $9. X 3 roomies rent is $27...Right??? Now do you add or subtract the $2 that the bellhop has???in our story you add it to the $27 and you follow yourself out of a Buck?? or do you subract it for the owner's total or add for the initial layout???
Tell it as you like, it's a drink getter or mind teaser or just plain, and simply dumb facts & trivia for a bored mind??? You choose..
Ok - here's the long version:
"The room is $30 and $5 refunded for a price of $25. The boss
gives the bellhop $5"

Guests have $-30; Management has $25; bellhop has $5

" and he doesn't have change as in coin & tells the visitors
"here's $1 each" making them pay $9.

Guests have $-27; Management has $25; bellhop has $2.

"X 3 roomies rent is $27...Right??? Now do you add or subtract
the $2 that the bellhop has???"

Add of subtract the $2 to what? why?

"in our story you add it to the $27"
At this point in the story:
The only thing that adds up to $27 is the amount the guests are
out of pocket. If you want to add the amount the bellhop has to
that, go right ahead, but there is no reason to expect that to add
up to $30..

" and you follow yourself out of a Buck??"
No I don't. The money is all accounted for.

" or do you subract it for the owner's total or add for the initial
layout??"

Do what you like. They are just numbers.

After all of the transactions:

There IS NO $30!!!!
Wanna hear the one about the missing $5 from Just Answers?
Reply to xarqi's Post: If I tell you that Adam & Eve in mumified perfectly preserved physical shape were discoverd without a shadow of a doubt, & asked you how are so sure? What would your answer be?
$30
Reply to xarqi's Post: The $30 is simply paid upfront and when $25 is the new rent without a thieving Bellhop and a $5 refund $30 - $5 = $25 room or $25 + $5 refund = $30 but the bellhop screws it up when his $3 refund & $2 tip add up to $29 as in 3 roomies @ $9 = $27 & the $2 stolen tip don't add up to $30 anymore, that's the twist of it all, nothing mind shaking & surely not worth $5.00, don't you think?
I wouldn't have thought so, but apparently you did when you
offered to pay $5 for an explanation.