Homeopathy

Homeopathy questions? Ask a homeopath for answers ASAP

What is the best type of diet and supplements besides

prenatal vitamins to prepare for...
What is the best type of diet and supplements besides prenatal vitamins to prepare for pregnancy? I'm thirty five, healthy, two years into marriage and no baby...yet.
9/21/2017
Dr. Zaheer
Dr. Zaheer, Doctor

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Just few mints more I need to write my answer .

Dr Zaheer.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question, as you mentioned here detailed list of foods and supplements you need to prepare for pregnancy……..

Lean meat, eggs, pulses and fish for protein. Try and keep red meat to a minimum and make some of your protein servings vegetarian. Tofu and quinoa particularly are considered to be ‘fertility foods’ (‘smug’ is not one of your five a day, sadly, though you doubtless will be)

Nuts, avocado, seeds and oily fish for essential fatty acids. The clue is in the name: EFAs play an essential part in hormone production.

Pasta, grains, potato and bread for carbohydrate. Forget low-carb diets for now. carbohydrates are the main energy-givers of the food groups. Complex carbs release energy more slowly, so think whole meal pasta rather than a chip butty.

Dairy products for calcium. Recent studies suggest calcium may play a role in the growth of an embryo and certainly once you’re pregnant, you’ll need to ensure you’re getting plenty of it, as growing all those tiny teeth and bones can quickly deplete your own supply. Milk on your cereal or a yoghurt is an easy way to add calcium to your diet. Vegans can get their calcium from soy or green veg

You need lots of (good) protein to kick-start conception. I eat fish and dairy but no meat, so my nutritionist suggested protein from brown basmati rice, quinoa, beans and lentils, and hummus.

Fruit and vegetables for vitamins and fiber. Eat as wide a range of as many different colors and types as possible.

Supplements you need to prepare for pregnancy……

Vitamin B12

B12 is needed for neurodevelopment and found only in animal products, (meats eggs and dairy) and some types of algae, so vegans may need vit B12 daily supplement 250-500mcg

Omega 3 fatty acids

Many supplements contains fish oil, which provides omega 3 fatty acids essential for the baby’s neural development, it is not recommended in the first trimester but you can use in 2nd and 3rd trimester.

Iodine

Iodine is necessary for the normal growth and mental development of a baby, and the RDI for pregnant women is 220mcg and 270mcg for breastfeeding women. After milk producers switched from using iodine-based to chlorine-based cleaners to clean dairy equipment, and more people ditched iodised table salt for gourmet salt – or none at all – iodine deficiency became an issue, with pregnant woman in parts of Australia suffering mild to moderate deficiency in the early 2000s.

Since 2009, bread manufacturers have been required to use iodised salt in all bread except organic bread. This is expected to increase average iodine levels by about 54mcg per day. However, on its own this won't ensure pregnant or lactating women are getting enough iodine, and a 150mcg supplement is recommended. The NHMRC recommends you avoid kelp and kelp-derived iodine due to mercury poisoning risks.

Vitamin D

Vitamin D helps the body absorb and use calcium. The most recent recommendations are that an adequate intake (AI) for all adults up to the age of 70, including pregnant and lactating women, is 15mcg (or 600 international units) of dietary vitamin D per day. While we can get our vitamin D from the sun,

Most people will get enough vitamin D by spending 10 minutes in the morning or late afternoon sun with face, arms and hands exposed; this should be a bit longer in winter though (15 minutes generally, or 30 minutes

The level of vitamin D in pregnancy supplements may be less than the recommended adequate intake of 600 IU. So if you're at increased risk of deficiency, consult your doctor for advice.

Iron

Pregnancy increases the need for iron in the diet. Apart from increased vascular blood mass for the mother and placenta, the developing fetus draws iron from the mother for use in the first five or six months after birth too. Although studies show that absorption of iron can increase substantially during pregnancy, the recommended daily intake (RDI) is set at 27mg, and vegetarians, vegans and women carrying more than one baby are at risk of iron deficiency. But too much iron also presents its own problems.

Folic acid

The RDI for women is 600 micrograms (mcg) for one month before conception and for three months after. In 2009, Food Standards mandated that bread be fortified with folic acid, and two slices contain about 80mcg. This will help, but a supplement is still recommended, as are natural sources such as green vegetables and wholegrain. The general recommendation is that in addition to eating folate-rich foods, women planning a pregnancy or in their first trimester should take a daily supplement containing at least 400mcg (preferably 500mcg) of folic acid.

Calcium

A developing fetus needs calcium for healthy bones, teeth, muscles, nerves and their heart. Normal levels of recommended calcium intake will suffice, although pregnant teenagers will need extra. For most people, calcium needs can be met through the diet. Women who avoid dairy products or have a vitamin D deficiency may need a supplement.

Any more help you need?

Dr Zaheer.

Here one complete bland of vitamins if you like to try and there will no need to use one by one all needed vitamins are included and this is excellent and trusted brand...

https://www.iherb.com/pr/One-A-Day-Women-s-Prenatal-with-DHA-2-Bottles-30-Liquid-Gels-30-Tablets/49336

Any more help you need?

Dr Zaheer.

Thank you Dr. Zaheer,
I appreciate your response and will be taking note for my next trip to the grocery store. One other question. Could my 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning be causing fertility problems?

You are always more than welcome,

I am sorry to say coffee not allowed it can reduce chances of pregnancy..

Any more help you need?

Blessings and Light!

Dr Zaheer.

Dr. Zaheer
Dr. Zaheer, Doctor
ok, I didn't want to hear that but, I so appreciate the honest answer. I wonder why it had such a bad effect. Is black tea ok? Or is it a matter of caffeine intake?

Thank you so much for your understanding, my pleasure to help you at my best, ***** ***** always help with much care and sincerity :)

and yes allowed to use black tea no issues, and yes it is high level of caffeine present in coffee

Wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy

Blessings and Light!

Dr Zaheer.