Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.
88123236

My father is suffering from Rapidly Progressive Dementia

Customer Question

My father is suffering from Rapidly Progressive Dementia with the following symptoms and his condition deteriorated in the past two months only, till Feb 2016 end he was all fine.
1. Urinary & Fecal Incontinence
2. Dementia symptoms – sometimes stops swallowing, withdrawn behaviour, not concentrating, not letting us change his clothes or feed him, very less / no sleep
3. Slow walking
4. Very low voice talk – difficult to hear
In the MRI report doctor suspected NPH & hence CSF flow study was done that did show possibility of NPH as his CSF stroke volume was 0.055 ml/beat.
So doctor suggested high volume LP which was done over two days (Day 1 - 35 ml, Day 2 – 50 ml was removed) however we could not see any improvements in dementia, speaking volume or urinary incontinence within a day.
However after 2 days of LP – he suddenly became normal for around 6 hours, where he did all the things he used to do before in his normal life. Talked in good voice, laughed, cracked jokes, did calculations, remembered short term & long term memories & even went to toilet twice etc. I have never seen him this normal for over 4 months now. It was like miracle. Then we slept in the night & next day morning he was back to the symptoms.
So not sure if the LP has any role to play in it & if yes then can you recommend any medicines to reduce water from his brain & alleviate these NPH symptoms?
Thanks.
Category: Homeopathy
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr Chaithanya attending you

I understand your concern

For NPH, there is no definitive medical treatment

Surgical treatment is CSF shunting, it is not effective in all patients

You should be lucky to hear that only few patients who get improvement after removal of 50ml LP in the form of LP are indicated for CSF shunting, and these patients have high probability of improvement after surgery

I suggest go for a right Neurosurgeon, go discuss with him and get the surgery done.

He will be back to normal

Please leave a positive rating at the top right corner of the page, the only way we experts are compensated for answering you

Follow up questions can be asked even after the positive rating

You can get back to me any time here, http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-chaithanya/

Any bonus is welcome and appreciated

Best Regards

Dr Chaithanya