Homeopathy

Homeopathy questions? Ask a homeopath for answers ASAP

Do homeopathics work... any recent research? My sister says…

Customer Question
do homeopathics work... any recent...
do homeopathics work... any recent research? My sister says it was disproven recently by medical community. I have a 5 year old who had two bouts of a virus and personality changed - i.e. anxiety and irritability. A ND checked his adrenals via urine and said he was off the charts. We are giving him Homeopathics and wondering do they work. He is better after 1.5 weeks but also wonder if it is d/t being off antibiotics for his chest infection too... open but skeptical d/t medical community discrediting... anything to make us feel better about using as it is very expensive but his bloodwork at hospital had turned out ok 1.5 weeks ago
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Homeopathy
3/12/2012
Homeopathy Expert: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 6 years ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Greetings.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

The medical research does not have much encouraging words about the efficacy of the homeopathy, I am afraid. Please read these recent reports;

Homeopathy: what does the "best" evidence tell us?

Source

Complementary Medicine, Peninsula Medical School, University of Exeter, Exeter, United Kingdom.***@******.***

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To evaluate the evidence for and against the effectiveness of homeopathy.

DATA SOURCES:

The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (generally considered to be the most reliable source of evidence) was searched in January 2010.

STUDY SELECTION:

Cochrane reviews with the term "homeopathy" in the title, abstract or keywords were considered. Protocols of reviews were excluded. Six articles met the inclusion criteria.

DATA EXTRACTION:

Each of the six reviews was examined for specific subject matter; number of clinical trials reviewed; total number of patients involved; and authors' conclusions. The reviews covered the following conditions: cancer, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, asthma, dementia, influenza and induction of labour.

DATA SYNTHESIS:

The findings of the reviews were discussed narratively (the reviews' clinical and statistical heterogeneity precluded meta-analysis).

CONCLUSIONS:

The findings of currently available Cochrane reviews of studies of homeopathy do not show that homeopathic medicines have effects beyond placebo.

Homeopathy for anxiety and anxiety disorders: a systematic review of the research.

Source

School of Integrated Health, University of Westminster, London, UK.***@******.***

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To conduct a systematic review of the clinical research evidence on homeopathy in the treatment of anxiety and anxiety disorders.

METHODS:

A comprehensive search of major biomedical databases: MEDLINE, EMBASE, ClNAHL, PsycINFO, Cochrane Library; and of specialist complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) databases: AMED, CISCOM and Hom-Inform was conducted. Efforts were made to identify unpublished and ongoing research using relevant sources and experts in the field. Relevant research was categorised by study type and appraised according to study design. Clinical commentaries were obtained for studies reporting clinical outcomes.

RESULTS:

Eight randomised controlled studies were identified. The types of anxiety and anxiety disorders studied were test anxiety, generalised anxiety disorder and anxiety related to medical or physical conditions such as cancer or surgical procedures. Single case reports/studies were the most frequently encountered study type but other study types including uncontrolled trials/case series and surveys were also found. No relevant qualitative research was identified.

CONCLUSIONS:

A comprehensive search demonstrates that the evidence on the benefit of homeopathy in anxiety and anxiety disorders is limited. A number of studies of homeopathy in such conditions were located but the randomised controlled trials report contradictory results, are underpowered or provide insufficient details of methodology. Several uncontrolled and observational studies reported positive results including high levels of patient satisfaction but because of the lack of a control group, it is difficult to assess the extent to which any response is due to homeopathy. Adverse effects reported appear limited to 'remedy reactions' and included temporary worsening of symptoms and reappearance of old symptoms. On the basis of this review it is not possible to draw firm conclusions on the efficacy or effectiveness of homeopathy for anxiety. However, surveys suggest that homeopathy is quite frequently used by people suffering from anxiety. If shown to be effective, it is possible that homeopathy may have benefits in terms of adverse effects and acceptability to patients. Consequently, further investigation is indicated. Future research should be of pragmatic design and include qualitative studies.

Though I can understand the prohibitive cost of the antibiotics; using homeopathy instead, would not be recommended, as there are not much supportive evidence of it's efficacy.

So best would be to continue with the homeopathy for the anxiety, which seems to work in his instance. But not to replace it for chest infection, which may aggravate and cause complications (because of lack of good clinical trials of efficacy of homeopathy).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Homeopathy Expert: Andy PhD DABT, Toxicologist replied 6 years ago
Andy PhD DABT
Andy PhD DABT, Toxicologist
I agree completely with Dr. Arun Phophalia. There is no scientific evidence that homeopathy works beyond the placebo effect. The placebo effect may be useful in some cases of psychological based conditions where the patient thinks it is working and so they feel less anxiety about their condition and they start to feel better. However for physical conditions and serious illness there is not proof it works.
Most homeopathic "medicines" are chemicals or extracts that are diluted so much that they may not contain a single molecule of the original chemical/extract. Homeopathic practitioners claim that the water "remembers" that the chemicals were there. There is no scientific evidence at all that water has this so called memory. When you are taking these homeopathic "medicines" you are simply taking water in many cases.
I would encourage you to continue seeking conventional medical care as it is scientifically supported.
Take care,

Chest infection, as we discussed, can complicate (in the absence of established treatment), so the conventional medications would be the best bet.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Homeopathy Expert: DrRussMD, Practice Director replied 6 years ago
DrRussMD, Practice Director
Hello from JA
In fact the above review is typical in that it did not negate homeopathy but said it is not possible to draw firm conclusions

Here is another
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10853874

This review concludes that there does appear to be evidence but that further high quality studies are needed to confirm.....

In fact there have been 4 major meta-analyses of homeopathy in general [where they throw out the bad studies] and 3 out of 4 were positive....greater than placebo.

The negative study was the more recent in the last number of years which attempted to disprove it, but the study was completely flawed and roundly criticized by the homeopathic and scientific community.

In fact the ability of remedies to store information and transfer information to living systems has been demonstrated in the lab and repeated over and over...For this evidence you can contact Dr. Rustum Roy at State College PA. Materials Sciences.

Reviews have revealed in fact that homeopathy as far as alternatives go has more positive evidence than any other alternative..yet the least acceptance from physicians....even though the same physicians embrace much less evidence based therapies such as acupuncture with open arms.

What this amounts to is a lack of understanding, and a stigma...many physicians can not grasp the idea of hormesis or ultra high dilution effects..howeveer, any toxicologist knows about such effects and they see them in the lab on a regular basis.

All that you are really hearing is that homeopathy is not mainstream medicine, as it is not.

However, it is getting there..there is now a fully fledged medical college in phoenix that is a 4 year MD degree, and it is the first homeopathic US medical college to appear in more than 70 years..and you can bet they are expanding teh evidence base even further.

In fact I have cured anxiety when nothing else works with homeopathy done correctly, and children are often quite easy.

Very good homeopaths have many documented cases..we have thousands, of cures from pneumonia to cancer. And these patients are walking around..they did not go anywhere.

The problem is that it is skill dependent, complicated, and individualized..there is no one size fits all remedy to treat anxiety..10 anxiety patients are 10 different people, and might require each a different remedy...hence the difficulty in doing regular studies...it is not a one size fits all.

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites.

I must respectfully ***** ***** the concept of hormesis. In pharmacology/toxicology it is true that the dose makes the poison. Which means that high doses of chemicals/drugs will cause adverse effects and toxicities. Drugs used to treat disease are usually given at doses less than those that cause severe toxicities, with a few exceptions such as many anti-cancer drugs. However these doses are still high enough to have a physiological effect, i.e. a beneficial effect to the patient. You get a physiological effect when a drug/chemical binds to a protein receptor and either activates it or inhibits it depending on how the drug works. The change in activity of that protein receptor will then cause the body to change and thus a physiological effect. Physiological effects have a threshold, which means that you will not get an effect until enough protein receptors (for the particular effect) are either activated or inhibited. So for argument sake, lets say 30% of the receptors on a cell must be activated before you see an effect. So when you take a drug you will not see an effect until 30% of the receptors have the drug bound to them and the receptor’s activities are changed. When 20% of the receptors have the drug bound to them no effect will occur. You can measure this by looking at the blood level of drugs and measure effects. For aspirin, you swallow the pill and is dissolves in the intestine and is absorbed into the blood. As it starts to be absorbed into the blood the level in your blood will slowly rise. It will take about 30 minutes before you headache starts to feel better, because it takes that long for the drug level in your blood to raise high enough to have a physiological effect. Then after awhile all the aspirin is in the blood and it slowly is metabolized or sent to the urine and urinated out of the body. After about 4 hours enough of the aspirin has been removed that it no longer stops your headache. However, if you test your blood at that point, there will still be aspirin in it, just at a low level, but not high enough to get rid of your headache.
Thresholds occur because the body can compensate for changes to them. Think of this like body temperature. If you go in a room that is at 70 degree Fahrenheit you will feel comfortable and your body temperature will be 98 F. Now heat up that room to 100 F, you will get uncomfortable and start to sweat, but your body temperature will still be 98 F because the sweat on your skin evaporates which cools it off. Now heat that room up to 130 F and you will start to really get hot and sweat a lot and eventually you will stop sweating as you lose water and will no longer be able to compensate for the heat and cool off. At this point your body temperature will then begin to rise above 98 F. The threshold in this case is 130 F, at that temperature your body can’t compensate for the change in temperature and so a physiological change, i.e increase in body temperature will occur. However at low changes in room temperature you body temperature will stay the same at 98 F, thus there is a threshold that must be exceeded before a physiological effect occurs.
The same is true with very dilute chemicals used in homeopathy. If the chemical is very dilute it will not exceed the threshold needed to cause a physiological effect and thus it will not work to treat disease.
If you need me to clarify anything please ask.
Take care,
Your question had two parts;

Can anxiety in the kid's case be treated by homeopathy; the answer is yes.

Can chest infection be treated by homeopathy; the answer is no.

Dr. Arun
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
We took homeopathics during a bout of respiratory virus' in my son' kindergarten. They appeared to have no effect. We both had to go on Amoxicillin. The amoxicillin may have changed my son's behaviour, i.e. he developed heightened anxiety and irritability - he had some quirks before but it was a definite change. He also now has a bit of exzema too. My colleagues and I thought the virus was a strain of respiratory cocksackie or rsv - he got it twice with a petechial rash all over face. Very strange. We have been giving him homeopathics (nervoheel - ignatia and valerian tablets), adrenal tincture - genestra, tiliacalm (st. francis), echinacea (st. francis), deep immune for kids (st. francis), probiotic, multivitamin, vitamin D (800 IU), omega (cod liver oil - nordic naturals for kids). The homeopathic tinctures are all new. I also dosed with some inositol in the beginning up to 1/2 tsp spread out over a day to increase half life. In any event, he started sleeping better and was more relaxed. Difficult to say what was working. The vitamins have been given all along so can't say they helped but they didn't hurt. Very confused. Amoxicillin reaction? vs. Post viral illness change... he is much better and now will allow us to go outside if he is inside and watching us, we can go into the next room. He did not even want to be left at school. Very upsetting. In any event, he is better - just wasn't sure about spending $150 on homeopathics but I have to say perhaps a positive effect. Hmmm. I had heard of late that homeopathics were blown out of the water by a recent medical study. Any other info. that can be provided? Does it matter what tincture - company? Clinical trials on animal modes? Paediatrics?

There are not many double blind randomized controlled trials for assessment of homeopathy efficacy, which is an unfortunate aspect. This is the reason, conclusions are drawn, that it is not effective. The dilution theory also does not work in the mind of modern physicians (as dilutions of medications are so much that there is a suspicion of no medicine at all). There are no studies specifically in pediatrics and there are no animal studies too. Your son's problem could have been due to post viral changes and adverse effects of amoxicillin. Both are self resolving with the time.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Do you have any idea if amoxicillin can cause this in a child? Also, how long should I expect his anxiety to last for - again he has had phasal normal anxiety - perhaps a bit more than some kids but after the virus - phases he had accomplished - i.e. going down water slides, being dropped off in his kindergarten classroom, sleeping not bad - were going well - after virus - he needed us in the next room, very anxious and scared. As you say it is improving - is there anything I can give him to help him through this - i.e. probiotics, food? He is not sleeping great but already spent $150 on homeopathics - ignatia and valearian tabs, Adrenal support homeo, tilia calm - st. francis homeopathic, and an immune support homeopathic. I have been using some inositol but also wonder if I should be doing this to a 5 year old - inositol is a B vitamin. Just trying to give brain some support. Also after amoxicillin he now has some exzema which he only had for one week as a young child. Again - time-frame for recovery - and if there is anything beyond what I am doing to help. Apparently a Naturopath checked his urine and his adrenal levels were extremely high (25 of 18 being max limit for normal).

The anxiety can last from 4-12 weeks and kids can have high variation of the duration and severity. Inositol usually is not recommended; as this is a self remitting phenomenon; family support being the prime treatment modality. Probiotic yogurt can be given for long term. Fresh fruits, fruit juices would also help as these increase the body immunity. Anxiety can cause adrenal hormones to over work; but again this is likely to remit spontaneously very gradually.

Dr. Arun
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)