Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

The sound from my turntable is kind of weak (not as loud as…

Customer Question
The sound from my...

The sound from my turntable is kind of weak (not as loud as when playing CDs), unclear/boomy, and there is too much bass.

Technician's Assistant: What is your speaker connected to or paired with? Are all cables connected tightly?

My turntable is Marantz, it's connected to a NAC

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a different audio source (e.g. another TV, computer, or CD)?

No. Sorry I didn't manage to finish my first message. So my turntable is Marants, the receiver is NAD C 375BEEE and there's a NAD preamp PP4.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

What else do you think they might need?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
6/1/2018
Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 2 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

I'm still unhappy with the quality of sound when playing vinyl records (LPs). The sound is kind of weak (in comparison with CDs) even when I turn the volume almost all the way up. The sound is also unclear and boomy - not crisp. And there seems to be too much bass at any volume. The entire system is relatively new and was not in use since October 2017 (until now). I don't remember experiencing any sound quality problems before with the turn table. I'm not able to determine the condition of the phono cartridge, i.e., the needle. My audio system consists of NAD Integrated Amplifier C 375BEEE. a Marantz TT-42 turntable and a pair of Polk speakers. Between the turn table and the receiver is a NAD digital phono preamp PP2 - I think it's wired correctly. The current sound quality is inferior, which bothers m because I don't remember having this problem before. Do you think it's possible that the phono cartridge has a worn-out needle or no needle at all - there were som children in the house and they seem to have touched just about every device here. What about the condition of th LP records themselves? Can they cause problems - these are old LS - 30-40 years old?