Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My AVR-487 will power-up to standby, but when I push the

Customer Question

my AVR-487 will power-up to standby, but when I push the standby button to go to full function the display flashes through AV surround, Receiver, and In Tuner and then goes off. The red standby continues to flash.
JA: Who makes your speaker or sound system?
Customer: Denon
JA: What have you tried so far with your Denon system?
Customer: I've had it for a number of years. It has always worked fine
JA: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

When did this issue occur- was there a catalyst (such as moving the equipment, or not using it for a period of time, etc.)? Additionally have you performed a full reset of the processor yet? Please reply back with as much detail as possible and we can proceed.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We returned from Vacation 3 weeks ago. The components had been disconnected from power at the surge protector power strip.
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Okay. No mention of the reset so I'll assume you haven't tried that yet.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried the reset
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Switch the unit off (unplug and plug it back in to put it into standby). Press and hold the Speaker A and Speaker B buttons on the receiver itself while pressing the power button once. Continue to hold the Speaker A and B buttons until the display flashes and then release them. If the display does not flash then repeat those steps up to three times and let me know if it resets- and more importantly, responds normally after the reset.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Okay, that was important to note as that's the only thing on a user level you can try. If the issue is still there then it indicates a hardware failure has occurred within the receiver and it requires repairs.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

This indicates the power supply filter caps have failed (which is common when power is disconnected from a 5 year old + electronic device as the capacitors start to become high ESR and cannot handle the power up surge after being disconnected from power).

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

The average cost for this repair is in the $200-$250 range (both parts and labor) and is not considered cost effective as the unit could be replaced with an entry-level Denon for about the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire about repairs or seek a second opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.stereorepair.com

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Who repairs them
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

See my last reply. Alternatively for $280 (just over the cost of repairs) a brand new Denon can be purchased at the link below:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVS530B/Denon-AVR-S530BT.html

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you....just as I suspected
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

You're welcome and again- sorry for the bad news. Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Was there anything you needed here today?