Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My AVR-487 will power-up to standby, but when I push the…

Customer Question
My AVR-487 will power-up...

My AVR-487 will power-up to standby, but when I push the standby button to go to full function the display flashes through AV surround, Receiver, and In Tuner and then goes off. The red standby continues to flash.

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your speaker or sound system?

Denon

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Denon system?

I've had it for a number of years. It has always worked fine

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
4/2/2018
Technician: Aric, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Aric, Engineer

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

When did this issue occur- was there a catalyst (such as moving the equipment, or not using it for a period of time, etc.)? Additionally have you performed a full reset of the processor yet? Please reply back with as much detail as possible and we can proceed.

We returned from Vacation 3 weeks ago. The components had been disconnected from power at the surge protector power strip.

Okay. No mention of the reset so I'll assume you haven't tried that yet.

I tried the reset

Switch the unit off (unplug and plug it back in to put it into standby). Press and hold the Speaker A and Speaker B buttons on the receiver itself while pressing the power button once. Continue to hold the Speaker A and B buttons until the display flashes and then release them. If the display does not flash then repeat those steps up to three times and let me know if it resets- and more importantly, responds normally after the reset.

Okay, that was important to note as that's the only thing on a user level you can try. If the issue is still there then it indicates a hardware failure has occurred within the receiver and it requires repairs.

This indicates the power supply filter caps have failed (which is common when power is disconnected from a 5 year old + electronic device as the capacitors start to become high ESR and cannot handle the power up surge after being disconnected from power).

The average cost for this repair is in the $200-$250 range (both parts and labor) and is not considered cost effective as the unit could be replaced with an entry-level Denon for about the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire about repairs or seek a second opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.stereorepair.com

Who repairs them

See my last reply. Alternatively for $280 (just over the cost of repairs) a brand new Denon can be purchased at the link below:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVS530B/Denon-AVR-S530BT.html

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Thank you....just as I suspected

You're welcome and again- sorry for the bad news. Do you need further assistance with this?

Was there anything you needed here today?