Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Sony sa-wm40 wont power up. fuse is good, it has been

Customer Question
Sony sa-wm40 wont power...

Sony sa-wm40 wont power up. fuse is good

Technician's Assistant: Is your SA-WM40 connected to a surge protector or power strip?

It has been connected both ways

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

Its a subwoofer

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Its not a tv it is a powered subwoofer

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/31/2018
Technician: Louie, Technician replied 3 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer; an independent site with members providing product information, repair tips and technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.
My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...Sony SA-WM40..."

Initially, is the Sony SA-WM40 completely / electrically dead?

It does absolutely nothing. the power light does not come on. i tested the speaker and it is fine. i thought this was sony support. i can't believe im paying for this.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiarity with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron? I can provide repair guidance.

Still, my participation is strictly limited to technical, repair and/or installation issues as well as related information.
Request for cancellation, refunds as well as billings & payments concerns are best addressed by Customer Support.
Billings & payments concerns including (trial) membership/subscription questions are best addressed by Customer Support.

Absolutely a diy. I am sorry for my rudeness. its a nice unit and seems as if there is no power getting past the initial switch. if I knew a bit more id test each circut. I have the service manual I willl attach.

Thanks, ***** ***** a copy too.

Have you determine the resistance of each of the primary winding of the 2 transformers?

no and I dont know exactly how to do that. Perhaps i need to just bypas the internal amp and use a monoblock i have collecting dust. I just dont have the money to pursue this much further. the thing doesnt even belong to me. I understand you cant fix it without having it there with you. I do appreciate and additional ideas you can give me.
I cant afford the call. Ill just throw in the towel here and now. I think its not worth the hassle .

Thank you for your kind understanding of automated-systems / machine-generated follow-ups, ads and offers.

This Sony model uses two (2) power supplies; a standby and a main hence the 2 transformers. If completely/electrically dead, then the standby power supply would be the primary suspect.

To determine fault, first part to be checked would be the standby transformer itself starting with the primary winding. A multi-meter set in Ω/Ohms/continuity-resistance would be needed.