Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

How do I connect aphono. How do I connect a phono turntable…

How do I connect...

How do I connect aphono

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your product?

How do I connect a phono turntable to my new Sony FM/AM receiver?

Technician's Assistant: The Home Theater Technician will be able to walk you through that. Who makes your speaker or sound system?

Radio Shack.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your sound system?

Speakers work ok, am/fm & CD player ok but very weak sound from phono with the volume turned up to max.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

Can I hookup my equalizer to the amp?

3/26/2018
Aric, Engineer

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

You need a phono preamp in order to get adequate sound from the turntable. Older receivers with a dedicated "Phono" input have a preamp on those inputs that corrects the low level of a turntable.

As far as hooking up an EQ, I would need the full model number of the Sony to look into that.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Was there anything else you needed here today?

Aric, Engineer