Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a wireless rechargeable head phone model TR120. It…

We have a wireless...

We have a wireless rechargeable head phone model TR120. It is connected to a converter (digital to analog audio) but we only get static. It’s a gift and we’d love to use it.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your TR120? What have you tried so far?

We bought a new tv late November and my son gave me this so I could hear it better because I’m very hard of hearing. At first it worked but not perfectly. But after a few days I only got static. So my son mailed us an audio converter and wiring to go along. Today the cable man came and reloaded all the channels with HD and took away the cable box, saying we don’t need it anymore. He said it’s connected right but he couldn’t say why all that came out was static.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No. The headphones were charged. That’s all I know.

3/26/2018
technicalcat
technicalcat, Senior Technician

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. This is an independent, fee-based technical support site.

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you now.

What brand are these headphones? Senheiser?

NOTE: To reply to me, please type your message in the box below and click the button to send.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Sennheiser

I'm assuming that was a typo and these are RS 120 phones.

There is an input on the headphone base station. What do you have that input connected to on your TV or other device, and what type of cable are you using?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
The cable is a Toslink digital audio cable. The label on the bottom of the charging stand does say TR but online the picture of the RS does look identical. The audio converter box is Rei DA9.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
It is connected to the tv with an ADE optical fiber cable to the Ant in port.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Wrong to the audio out
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
It says digital audio where the cable connects the Rei box to the tv
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Are you still on?

The problem is likely the converter box. What is the make brand and model of your TV?

Phone support would make this much easier and faster to solve. I sent you an offer for that, and if you'd like to accept it, I can connect with you right away.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
But I’d have to pay more. I wasn’t counting on the expense. I’m retired. Sorry. When you say the converter box do you mean not the one from the cable company but the Rei box connecting the headphones to the tv, right?

I will send you a lower cost phone service. It's really going to be useful to give you specific instructions based on your setup.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I’m hard of hearing and wouldn’t be able to hear you anyway. You’re trying to get as much money from me as you can, I get that, but I just want my answer to my question.

Actually, no, I sent you an offer for 15 which is the lowest the system will go. Phone helps a lot so I can know the details of your setup to give you the best solution. With Q&A those details are often missed. If you absolutely don't want to pay anything more for phone service, we can continue with Q&A.

On the back of your TV , you should have a red/white paid of AUDIO OUT jacks. Do you see those?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
audio in

No, should be audio OUT. What is the make and model of your TV?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Samsung model code un28m4500afxza, version bbo2, model number un28m4500af
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Sorry I see I was wrong the cable from the headphones and box IS connected to Digital audio out (optical)
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
On the bottom of the audio converter box it says dc/5v and r/l on the other side. But I’m sure it’s connected right.

What do you have connected to the TV? Cable box?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
No box now. A cable is all.

Who is your service provider? Do you watch cable TV, or only online streaming content?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Comporium. And we have high speed internet. On this tv though we only watch cable tv - no streaming ever.

What do you use to change channels? Your factory original samsung remote (will have samsung logo on it), or do you use another remote such as one from your cable provider?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Just the Samsung. He took the other back.

What port (LABEL) do you have the optical cable plugged into on the TV? I understand you have one end of the optical cable connected to the "converter" box. Where is the other end of the optical cable plugged into?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Digital audio out

Please take a close look at the back of the TV. Do you see a pair (usually red/white) jacks that are labelled audio OUT?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I don’t see your response on this page.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
No but there’s a spare part that has a red and a white jack on a small head with a long metal column that looks like it might fit into the stack of 5 vertical jacks I see. Which are yellow, blue, white and 2 red.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I just tried it. It doesn’t fit there

What is the brand and model of the "converter" you have? From where did you purchase it?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Rei from the internet
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Model DA9

Here is the problem, as I said much earlier. The "converter" you have is not working, and this is typical of many such devices just purchased on ebay or amazon. I was trying to ask you more questions and get on the phone with you to give you a simpler more direct connection without using the DA converter. All I have gotten from you is that you have a (coaxial?) connection from the cable company going directly into your TV. Nowadays, this is a very strange setup to have, but it's still possible.

With the opt out on the TV, you should be able to get all the audio coming from anything you watch on the TV. According to specs and what you've said, there is no analog out on the TV, and this is typical as it's very new. Put simply, connecting an older TV here would be much easier, as the phones are basically old style analog, and strangely most of them still are today.

Unless I'm missing a detail , or you can get different hardware from cable company, all you can do now is get a good DA converter. Here is a link to one such converter. This should get you back in shape.

https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-dac-digital-to-analog-converter-(51-compatible)--180-999

Please let me know if this answers your question and you are satisfied, or if you need further assistance or information from me. Thank You.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you.

If I've helped you today, please remember to rate my service by clicking the stars. Rating costs nothing more and helps me. I strive for excellent 5 star service. Please also remember you can followup with me on this issue after rating for no additional fee if you have any further questions.

Thanks for using Justanswer.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Where are the stars?

They should be on your screen. Thank You.

technicalcat
technicalcat, Senior Technician
technicalcat
technicalcat
technicalcat, Senior Technician