Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Denon x-3400H, Definitive Technology bp9020, and Polk 660…

Denon x-3400H, Definitive Technology...

Denon x-3400H, Definitive Technology bp9020, and Polk 660 sub. Im trying to figure out how I should hook these up.

Technician's Assistant: Is your X-3400H system connected to or paired with anything?

TV, and blue ray, also have surrounds B&W System is 5.1

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your X-3400H?

Nothing other than hooked to my old full B&W system.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Are you wanting to keep the b/w surround speakers, and use the bp9020 as the main (front left/right)?
That is what I would suggest, as a starting point.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I plan to replace the BW 601s down the road with Definitive surrounds. For now I'm using the 9020s as fronts. I also have the 9040 center.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, I don't prefer a call. I can get free answers on Monday.

I am not asking for anything else.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

You have paid the full agreed upon fees (5 deposit + balance/total) noted on the payment page when posting your question.

Please give me a few moments to send a detailed response here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, thanks

There is really no change needed here in terms of setup, you're really best off just connecting the front left/right outputs to the 9020s to the speaker level input terminals.

Just in the denon speaker setup, for the front channels, set those to large. That will give you the best music and voice out of the fronts,

and the polk will connect to the sub1 port on the denon for your low frequency effects.

IF you wanted to, you could forego the rear surround speakers and reassign that to the front height terminals on the 9020s, but overall you'll get better surround sound quality and immersion using mid and back surrounds instead.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, I wasn't sure if I set front to large that I would be driving the internal subs on the 9020's properly.

Yes large means it gets full range of signal,

if you set it to small, then the cross over cuts off the bass and sends it to the sub output instead.

Nathan, Engineer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks

You're very welcome!

Nathan, Engineer