Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an old Denon AVR-800 receiver. I have lost the

I have an old...

I have an old Denon AVR-800 receiver. I have lost the remote. Will this unit work with a universal remote control?

Technician's Assistant: What Denon model do you have?

AVR-800. Bought in about 1996

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Denon system?

The universal remote that came with my cable box. It does not seem to have the ability to connect with the reciever.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

Can I use this reciever to set up a home theater using a smart TV and modern cable box, or am I better off getting a new receiver?

3/22/2018
Shahid_Sony
Shahid_Sony, Customer Service

Welcome to JustAnswer, an independent, pay per question support website
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this and I'll do my best to help

Are you available to chat here?

Nice, this is an analog and very old receiver whereas the Smart TVs and current Cable Boxes are digital so I'm afraid this receiver will not work with current video devices. Smart TV doesn't have analog audio out jacks (red and white) and it does have digital optical audio out port to connect an optical cable for sound signals to the receiver and HDMI (RCA) port for more convenient digital audio signal connection with a receiver/ soundbar, ARC stands for audio-return-channel

In my opinion, you would be better off with a new receiver that will work with current TV and cable box for better surround sound

Universal remote can work if it has a programming code for this particular model receiver but it still gives a little control on the receiver functions

I hope this info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page so I can get the credit for my work on the website
Thank you

Do you need any further assistance with this question?

Shahid_Sony
Shahid_Sony, Customer Service