Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have just bought a Denon AVRS 930H receiver. Is there a…

I have just bought...

I have just bought a Denon AVRS 930H receiver. Is there a way to plug a turntable into the receiver.

Technician's Assistant: Is your AVRS 930H system connected to or paired with anything?

Yes, it is part of our home theater system.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your AVRS 930H?

All the components we have are plugged into the HDMI ports.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

Can I use the CD plug in ports to attach the turntable ?

3/22/2018
Aric, Engineer

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

This all depends on what turntable you have. Most turntables require a phono preamp to be used. Some newer ones have the preamp built in. What's the brand and model of your turntable please?

Are you there and do you need assistance? Is your turntable over 5 years old? Do you already have a turntable? Please simply reply back.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is a Victrola about a year old

Okay, then I need a model number. Last I knew Victrola produced all in one sound systems- not separate turntables.

Click the link below and tell me if it's one of the units shown (and if so- which one):

https://victrola.com/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It does not have a model number. If I bought a new Denon turntable it should have a pre-amp built in. Where would I plut it into the Denon reciever ? Or could I ?

Denon turntables don't have a preamp built in. The current ones that do are made by Audio-Technica. So if using the Denon you would need the phono preamp at the link below and connect it between the Denon turntable and the Denon receiver:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PP400--behringer-microphono-pp400?gclid=CjwKCAjwhcjVBRBHEiwAoDe5x8Fu34QYYUkxE73XvSZgVE3hoiupbtYTccweo8PjDRy0I1ZnCgNGJRoCFTMQAvD_BwE

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. What ports would I plug it into If I got the Audo-Technica ?

You would set the switch on the back of the Audio Technica to "LINE" and then can plug into the CD ports on the Denon.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. Last question. If I got a phono premamp between the turntable and he Denon receiver would it plug into the CD ports ?

Yes that's correct.

Is there anything else you need this evening?

Aric, Engineer
Aric, Engineer