Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

It won’t turn on. No I have not. How do I do that? The tv…

It won’t turn on ...

It won’t turn on

Technician's Assistant: Are there any lights on your speaker that are lit or blinking?

Nope

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried resetting your speaker?

No I have not. How do I do that?

Technician's Assistant: The Home Theater Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

The tv will power on with its own remote and the xfinity box will not turn on.

3/18/2018
Aric, Engineer

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What device is not turning on please? I don't see any details (brand, model number, etc.).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s a Yamaha natural sound av receiver rx-A730

Thanks for the reply. Are there currently any signs of life on the receiver at all (power light lit or blinking, etc.)? Additionally how old is it, and when did this problem occur?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also the xfinity box won’t turn on either but the tv does.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Less then a year old

Okay, I'm not sure how the Xfinity box relates to your Yamaha receiver not turning on. Please elaborate on all of the details of how this happened and any/all signs of life on your receiver.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Last night it didn’t turn on. There are no signs of life at all. No lights on or blinking anywhere

Any storms, power outages, etc.? Also, are all devices plugged into the same surge protector? Have you tried plugging the receiver into a different outlet on the wall- once you've confirmed is working? Please try that and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No storms or power outages. I will try to plug it into another outlet but I wil have to unplug everything from the back because it is in an entertainment unit

Okay, yes you would need to try at least another outlet to confirm this isn't something simple. Otherwise it would indicate a faulty receiver. Let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that ok to do?

Run an extension cord to the Yamaha instead of unplugging and moving everything.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It turned on
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The receiver is plugged into a rocket fish

There you go and that's very good news. This means the original issue likely lies in your surge protector that the rest of the system is on, and that it needs to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that has been working the whole time

That's all well and good but right now it is not working which is why I had you try the extension cord test. You have a faulty surge/outlet strip and need to replace it. That is the cause of the Xfinity box and Yamaha not powering up. Replace your surge protector if you want to fix the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But the way it was set up was the receiver was plugged into the back of the rocketfish not into a surge protector

What are you referring to as "the Rokcetfish"? Rocketfish is just a brand name- they make thousands of different components.

Also we're taking about the receiver's power cord here- not any other cords. Elaborate on what "Rocketfish device (model number) you're referring to.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It doesn’t say what it is. Where do I find that out

I have no idea because I don't know "what" it is? Take a picture and upload it to this page since you do not know what the device is.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am sorry I don’t know much about it. We are visiting my mother in law and I am trying to help her

That is a surge strip I hate to tell you. It's not functioning and needs to be removed. Eliminate it and just plug the devices into a regular $15 surge protector from Wal-Mart and you won't have this problem.

That Rocketfish just happens to be a fancy one and it shows the wall voltage on the display, but the facts are that it's not working since the Xfinity box and Yamaha plugged into it have no power unless it's bypassed.

So we've determined why the Yamaha and Xfinity box are not powering on. Do you need further assistance with this??

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Trying to reconnect everything and see if the tv works

Okay, understood.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok we got it working. Thank you so much for your help

You're very welcome and glad to hear that! Could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

Aric, Engineer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will leave great feedback. Thank you so much. We are all set

Thank you!

Aric, Engineer