Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an onkyo ht-r520 that is shutting its self off after…

I have an onkyo...

I have an onkyo ht-r520 that is shutting its self off after i start it

Technician's Assistant: Is your HT-R520 system connected to or paired with anything?

No

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your HT-R520?

Unplugging it and letting it set for 5 mins

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

I was connecting the speakers and one of the wires sparked and the reciver shut down

3/17/2018
Aric, Engineer

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Offhand the receiver should never be turned on when any high current leads are being connected (the speaker outputs can send over 50 volts of live AC power when the receiver is on). It's likely that you shorted and blew the output transistors which is why the receiver is shutting down (to prevent the power supply from arcing across the dead short and emitting smoke). However it's worth trying a hard reset to see if this is the case:

1) Unplug the receiver's power cord.

2) Disconnect ALL speaker wires from the back of the receiver.

3) Plug the receiver back in and turn it on.

Does it stay on? Or does it shut off?

Were you able to try those steps and is the receiver still shutting down please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
its still shutting down

Thanks for the reply. How old is the Onkyo receiver please (less than or over a year from the date of purchase please)? Also, I'm not available by phone- I don't send those offers.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
over a year

I'm sorry to say that the receiver has shorted output transistors and requires service. There aren't any pushbutton fixes for this and the repair entails replacing the faulty/shorted outputs, or in some shops the entire mainboard is replaced. At a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new entry-level Onkyo receiver starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.stereorepair.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

Aric, Engineer
Electrotech2017
Electrotech2017, Audio and Video Technician
Phone call session started
Aric, Engineer