Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Denon DRA-397 Receiver. When I press Power or

Customer Question
I have a Denon...

I have a Denon DRA-397 Receiver. When I press Power or On/Standby, the power comes on but the light is red indicating Standby. I cannot out of Standby mode. Power source is fine, Mode Selector 1 is set for A, Mode Selector 2 for CD/Ipod as it should be. The device has been excellent up to now, for 6-7 years. Any ideas?

Technician's Assistant: Is your DRA-397 system connected to or paired with anything?

Just a CD player

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your DRA-397?

Checked power, checked the remote which are fine. I tried pressing the mode button on the receiver and it does nothing. I also played with the Mode Selector buttons on the remote, no change.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
3/17/2018
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Is the light blinking at all or do you hear a clicking sound when trying to power up?

The light is not blinking and there is no clicking sound.
I will stay with Chat. No phone call necessary.

I am not asking for anything else.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

You have paid the full agreed upon fees (5 to ask your question + balance/total upon speaking with me here) noted on the payment page when posting your question for this chat support.

Please give me a few moments to send a detailed response here in the chat.

This could be a glitch in the memory/settings, or a deeper hardware failure.

What we will need to do first is a microprocessor reset,

power the denon off, using the small on/off button (not the bigger standby button)

Then press and hold the speaker A and B buttons on the front,

keep holding while powering back on (small button), until the display starts flashing, then release and let me know if it will work properly at that point.

The display doesn't change, there is no display except the red standby light stays on, it doesn't start blinking. I held the
buttons down for over a minute.

And you're sure you're using the small on/off, not the standby button?

Thanks for checking,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2007 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This receiver is well over double its service life a this point.

There is one further step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the amp, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; however repairs are simply not feasible. You'd be in the $500+ range for repairs and could buy a brand new and updated model with a fresh warranty for less.

I can help you with find a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

You mean the small power button, right?
Ok, you're quite sure that if this doesn't work, I've got a hardware issue?
Nathan, are you still there?

Yes I'm here, sorry your messages just came through,

Actually in this case for the reset, you want the small power button pushed in (on mode) ahead of time and then hold the larger standby button. Sorry I wasn't clearer about that.

Yes, I am positive this is a hardware issue, which again is completely normal and expected for a system of this age.

Are you referring to the test where I pressed down the Speaker A and B buttons or the 60+ minute test?

The 60 minute test. We're assuming at this point that it is hardware since the initial quick reset (microprocessor reset with the a/b buttons) did not help.

The 60 minute is sort of the last resort before confirming a hardware failure.

Ok, got it. I will try that. I guess that is all we can do for now.

You're very welcome, and best of luck to you!

Please let me know how it works out, when you have a chance and I can advise from there on replacement options if needed.

Ok, good bye

Thanks

I will pay $5 as outlined, not $36.

The fee was never just 5. You have paid the full agreed upon fees (5 to ask your question + balance/total upon speaking with me here) noted on the payment page when posting your question for this chat support. This fee was shown on the payment page and you had to specifically click to agree to it.

I'm a licensed tech and authorized denon servicer and you could not realistically get help anywhere for $5 for a system this age.

Had you gone to any repair shop, they'd charge you a minimum $125 diagnostic fee for the exact same answers I've given you here for a small fraction of that.

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Expecting a discount or not honoring the full fee to which you agreed is essentially forcing me to work for free for the past hour helping you.