Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a sony S-Master digital ampllifier, model HD.

Customer Question
I have a sony...

I have a sony S-Master digital ampllifier, model HD

Technician's Assistant: What Sony model do you have?

HCD-FX10. the unit turns on a series of messages for Sony Demo comes on. If I press power button again I get the Protect

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Sony system?

I disconnected the speakers, checked wires, unplugged unit overnight, and cleaned dust away

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

Yes, the unit has always been plugged in through a surg protector system, the system was installed by professionals

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
3/16/2018
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

With the speakers disconnected, will it turn on and stay on, or still go into protection?

With speakers disconnected it still goes into protection

Thank you for checking,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty amplifier circuit or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2006 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This system is well over double its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; however repairs would simply not be feasible. There are no parts available for these systems and labor alone would be many times the value of the theater system. Your best option at this point would be to replace the entire system with a new model with updated features or a fresh warranty.

I can help you with finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

When I plug in it immediately starts a "sony demo" serirs of text messages giving specifications a description of system. If I release power button and press again, then I get the protect unplug message.
I understand. This is a hardware defect as I explained above. The system would need to be replaced at this point.