Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I own a Bose PS28 III subwoofer and I have no sound, nor is…

Customer Question
I own a Bose...

I own a Bose PS28 III subwoofer and I have no sound, nor is the green light on the subwoofer right. In view of the fact I have no sound I can't tell if it is the Media Center that is the problem or the subwoofer. Can you advise?

Technician's Assistant: What is your PS28 connected to or paired with? Are all cables connected tightly?

The PS28 is connected directly to the Media Center via speaker link.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a different audio source (e.g. another TV, computer, or CD)?

DVD but no sound

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Anyone there?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the green light is out! I have no sound... no light... but I do have a picture on the TV. Cable runs to the Media Center and out to the TV.
3/7/2018
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 1 month ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Do you see any display or other indicators on teh media center?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The display does work. And tells me if the cable, fm or am is on. All that works.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can't we just do this on chat?

Yes, that is what I'm trying to do here.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

You have paid the full agreed upon fees (5 to ask your question + balance/total upon speaking with me here) noted on the payment page when posting your question for this chat support. Please give me a few moments to send a detailed response.

This is a hardware fault in the acoustimass module.

This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as this system is far past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation, which is to simply reset it by unplugging power and the bose link cable from the sub for at least an hour.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; however repairs for these are generally not feasible, and you can't buy a replacement sub either (at least not new).

So you'd be looking at an expensive repair, which likely won't last long as the media center will likely fail before long as well, buying a used sub, or replacing the entire system.

Replacement will make more sense for a system of this type/age though.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is what I expected. I am going to try and find a subwoofer on eBay. If I have not luck then I am in the market for a similar system that I can use. My speakers are in the walls and would like to use them. But, thank you.

You can certainly use your existing in wall speakers,

but overall I'd recommend a "separates" system, with a standalone AV receiver, which will power the speakers directly: http://amzn.to/2D9LX2p

a separate active sub: http://amzn.to/2FphdMG, separate dvd player, etc.

This way if the sub dies, you need to upgrade the dvd, etc you aren't having to replace everything

You can find some used sub options here too: http://amzn.to/2tucY16

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good advice. Thanks

You're very welcome!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Very well done... Five stars *****

Thank you

Nathan, Engineer