Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

How to attach subwoofer to hitavhi 780p. Pioneer. Also have…

Customer Question
How to attach subwoofer...

How to attach subwoofer to hitavhi 780p

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your speaker or sound system?

Pioneer.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Pioneer system and your 780P?

Also have bookshelf wire speakers

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

Just to help me not pull out all my hair!

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
3/7/2018
Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 4 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try connecting an adapter from the 3.5 mm audio jack on the TV, under the case, left of the HDMI connections.

The other end of the adapter having two RCA outputs, you can connect them to the subwoofer, or one of them anyway.

Here's the adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D5H8KO2/ref=asc_df_B01D5H8KO25394278/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B01D5H8KO2&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167146065113&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8722239899867897040&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9053018&hvtargid=pla-303037967706

The right channel RCA plug might suit you best, ***** ***** bass is usually on that side, at least where orchestra performances are concerned.

Now I don't know your model of subwoofer, but I suspect the above might not suit you.

If your Hitachi TV has RCA sound outputs, then depending on how many inputs and what type your subwoofer has, you might connect them to your subwoofer by RCA-to-whatever-cable-your-subwoofer-has.

Let me know your Subwoofer's model # - very important for this matter! - and I will give you more exact instructions also.

(You might perhaps also have to set your TV's Menu, Audio settings, to External Speakers or External Sound Output, or the like.)

I shall respond with the requested information tomorrow. The rca connections do not work. The subwoofer is a brand new Pioneer with 2 inputs, yellow and red. However I understood it required only a single imput. My Hitachi tv has hdmi connections as well as the rca. I have every single type of cable in the universe as I want to hook this bad boy up myself. The subwoofer is huge. Again, I will provide you wirh the Pioneer model number tomorrow. Thank you for your attempts so far! Dixie Perez

OK, thank you - and 'tomorrow', or any day that may be convenient will be OK. I will proceed with this case when you are ready.

Hi Russell. Contacting you has been very difficult...the "customer service" person wasn't real service oriented. Anyway. The Pioneer Subwoofer is a SW-10. BRAND new out of the box. The Hitachi TV is an '05 model 55VF820. 2 hmdi outlets. Cannot locate the single 3.5 mm outlet for (yet another foo foo home theater) unit combo I have. This tv is gigunda. LARGE. Very very nice and still works. I also have my Pioneer reciever -VSX-517K. And wired bookshelf sharp speakers that have hella sound on their own...but. If I could just get the subwoofer hooked up I'd be happy making my loud neighbors unhappy back. Joking! (A little bit) Really need bass Russell. Old school rock the floor and walls bass. I know this new Pioneer sub will handle that. IF I can hook him up! HELP! Thanks! Dixie Perez

With those models I can give you instructions:

1. you will need to connect with a RCA cable, one that is dual, i.e. really two cables with RCA ends.

2. the connections on the rear of the subwoofer are the LINE IN inputs, LEFT and RIGHT.

3. The conections on the rear of the TV are at the lower left of the big square on the back of the TV, and are labeled

AUDIO [ (and they are in the AUDIO TO HIFI area.)

It's that simple. (The upper of the two Audio-to-HIFI jacks with the bracket [ next to them, is the Left channel, the lower-most is the Right channel.)

Do you need a reference to the right type of RCA cable for this connection?

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Hi again Russell. I have the regular RCA cables - yellow, white and red, which simply have not worked. Period. I did exacty as you instructed. No joy. I also have these other cables - i think they're composite cables (i believe thats the term). I got them for my car subwoofer and wow. Expensive. These have 2 inputs each, will certainly fit and are black and white. Is my reciever of any use here? No hdmi but I have an adapter which has the arc connection and that light is always red. I understood using the arc connection wasn't a good thing to do. Bot***** *****ne? Rca cables dont work. Any other ideas?
i need to know the correct rca cable. I don't have one obviously and i must have 20 of them
please tell me where the elusive 3.5 jack is. I cannot locate it.

You must have 20 of them? please explain why. I think you only need 2 - for the AUDIO TO HIFI two outputs that are designated by the word AUDIO and a square bracket symbol [

I meant i have tried every one I have. Over the yesrs i just collected them. Some are quite long, others short. I have tried them all.
lLOL
Bless your heart you must have really thought i was an idiot!

Did you locate the AUDIO TO HIFI two outputs that are designated by the word AUDIO and a square bracket symbol [ ? I can give you a diagram that points to them.

As for the 3.5 jack... turns out this TV model doesn't have one - I was misinformed, about a different model.

Shouldnt it be white to white for audio and ywllow to yelliw? The sub has a white and red.

Just so long as the LEFT channel on the TV goes to the LEFT (the upper of two RCA-type inputs) on the subwoofer, you should be fine. (And the other to the right... but just the LEFT connection is OK enough if you aren't playing back stereo channels or music.)

The color on RCA cables doesn't indicate anything but 'red matches red at the other end' and that sort of thing.

Definitely founf them. There are the ones labled audio in the back with other video rca jacks and there is an additional single group of rca on the side of the tv directly next to the hand controls minus the remote

I wouldn't have thought so, but you may have to go to the TV's MENU and enable External Audio (output.)

I know that part Russell.
Tried that too.

Then make sure the subwoofer is On, and not turned down to minimum volume, and ... make sure the sub actually works? and the TV isn't at minimum volume either.

It is so frustrating...i lnow it should work.
I did. Turned it all the way down too to see if there was juice there. There is
Russell i have to take a break. This has given me a migraine

That's a good idea. Come back to it when you have a fresh outlook and are willing to think about it again, meanwhile, I advise giving up on it.

(But when you're done with this question - even if that's a week from now - please rate my work and my answer.)