Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Yamaha receiver stopped working. It is part of a home

theater system. Connected to TV...
Yamaha receiver stopped working. It is part of a home theater system. Connected to TV by HDMI Model RX-V671
1/16/2018
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Is it not turning on?
Flashing?

Not turning on

Thanks for confirming,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2011 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This system is past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; however repairs are simply not feasible. It would cost $600+ to fix while you could replace it with a brand new model with updated features and a fresh warranty for half that.

I can help you with finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

I think you are right about the service life of the unit. i will try your ideas but have done some of them. I know the solution. New unit1 Thanks.

You are very welcome!

If replacing, here is a model I'd recommend: http://amzn.to/2EKklSH

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Engineer
Electrotech2017
Electrotech2017, Audio and Video Technician
Phone call session started