Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Bose 3 disc CD player. It plays OK but when the…

Customer Question
I have a Bose...

I have a Bose 3 disc CD player. It plays OK but when the disc changes there is always a clicking sound (about 7-8 rapid clicks) at the end of the changing cycle. Is this normal? Should it be clicking?

Technician's Assistant: What Bose model do you have?

Hmm Can't seem to find the model number. It's an older model. A table top unit with one CD and the add on 3 CD player.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Bose system?

We have been using it without a problem for years but the clicking sound is annoying and I am concerned that it may be doing damage long term.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

No, I dont't think so.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
1/3/2018
Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 7 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

I am interested in the mechanism for the clicks. Is this clicking part of the changers normal operation or should I be concerned that it is causing damage to the unit? Does something in the unit need to be adjusted or calibrated or are the clicks normal?

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Allsop 23321 Ultra Pro Carbon-Edge DVD and CD-Drive Cleaner) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement

your expert opinion is that the clicking should not be happening in a properly functioning unit? You believe that there is a problem in my system that requires repair or replacement?

Yes, that is correct.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

A final inquiry... The clicking occurs when the selected disc completes its travel to the raised position for playing. Do you know how the unit knows that the final position has been reached? Is there an optical sensor or limit switch providing feedback? What is causing the clicking sound?

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc