Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I replaced an old generation apple TV I used with my Dennon…

Customer Question
I replaced an old...

I replaced an old generation apple TV I used with my Dennon AVR-E400 with the Apple TV 4K 32GB. I am getting an incompatible signal message instructing to check output settings. Any advice you can give to resolve?

Technician's Assistant: How old is your AVR-E400?

4 1/2 years since I installed it.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your AVR-E400 and your 4K?

I have plugged the 4k directly into the TV and it works fine. I have played with the output settings on the 4k (resolution and refresh) with no success. Can't say I really know what I'm doing with changing output settings.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Changed Video|Output Settings menu and enable Video Conversion with "Resolution (HDMI)" set to Auto. No success.
12/29/2017
Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 6 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
It may not be a setting - when it says 'incompatible signal', are you then using a different cable, e.g. an HDMI cable? HDMI cables are complicated inside, and can invisibly have defects, esp. if they are Used at all, and were cheaply made (and thus had a cheap purchase price).

If that's definitely not it, tell me what cables connect what ports on each device to each other, when you get the incompatible signal error, and I will advise you further.

I don't believe it's the cable. When I plug the apple tv 4k directly into the TV, I receive a signal, i.e. it works. But I switched out the cable anyway and I still received an incompatible device error. The HDMI cable was plugged into the Media Player HDMI port on the back of the Denon. I switched it to another port (Blu-Ray) which produced the same incompatible signal error.
I forgot to mention, that I have updated the firmware on the Denon and that did not help.

OK - I see. Then, I suggest changing the audio signal settings on the Denon. And seeing whether the 'incompatible signal' error goes away.