Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Harman Kardon AVR 1700 that has worked great for…

Customer Question
I have a Harman...

I have a Harman Kardon AVR 1700 that has worked great for many years. Recently, audio from all my devices except my Apple TV no longer work. I've tried to trouble shoot the issue by switching cords all around to find out where the issue is and I'm not any closer to a solution. It doesn't make sense.

Technician's Assistant: What Harman Kardon model do you have?

AVR 1700 When I unplug the HDMI cord that goes out to the TV I get sound back but obviously not picture.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I have a DVD player and an Xbox one and neither have audio. I've switched them to HDMI 1 where my Apple TV is plugged in and no luck. I've reset the receiver twice with no luck. I've updated it. I've reset my TV. I've done everythign I can think of and the only think I can come up with is that there is a break in connection only on certain configuration. Anything that's not my Apple TV.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
12/28/2017
Technician: Louie, Technician replied 3 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...Harman Kardon AVR 1700..." I apologize for the wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Initially vand to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than / to address the above.

I have basically tried everything. I've switched out cables. I've checked and double checked all cables were plugged in properly. I've checked all channel settings. I've switched device inputs to see if it was a particular input. I've plugged each device into my tv to be sure it isn't any device. I've reset the receiver both by unplugging it for 3 minutes as well as resetting it to factory setting. I've reset my TV. When I unplug the HDMI cable that goes to my TV from the receiver I get sound back but obviously lose picture. I've done everything I can think of. Only my Apple TV has sound no matter which input it's plugged into and neither my DVD player or Xbox One have sound.

Have you confirmed that in the System Setup, the HDMI Audio to TV is set to Off?

If it were set to On, I would here sound out of the TV. It is set to off.
Louie, Technician