Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I recently purchased a Bose Wave Music System IV, (ser. #

Customer Question
I recently purchased a...

I recently purchased a Bose Wave Music System IV, (ser. # 070207972371757AE). Great sound. The CD reader, however, is finicky at best. It still plays the included Demo disc, but just about all other CDs are rated "NOT PLAYABLE". Some, after several tries, will play. These are quality CDs from Philips, Decca, Walt Disney, etc. Should I consider using a better CD player connected through the AUX, or just give up on the whole thing? Thank you, ***** *****

Technician's Assistant: What Bose model do you have?

Model # 41778-WMS, (Good Lord those numbers are small).

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Bose system?

Just playing Cds mostly. The FM Classical station is also good.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

No. the main problem is just a very finicky CD player

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
12/26/2017
Technician: Aric, Engineer replied 6 months ago
Aric, Engineer

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

The issue you're having is due to the laser lens being either contaminated (dirty), or faulty (scratched or mis-aligned).
I would suggest first following the steps below to determine and attempt to cure the issue.
You can try several methods of cleaning the laser lens to see if it helps clear up the problem. The first is to purchase a CD/DVD laser lens cleaner disc, and run it through the system several times.
If your player is not reading any discs at all though, then try purchasing a can of compressed air (available at PC or AV retailers).

Insert the spray tip of the compressed air into the disc slot and liberally blow it out to remove any dust or debris that may be contaminating the laser lens.

These are the only user level steps you can try to correct this, and if the issue goes further- the laser lens reader needs to be replaced.

In this case you would need to contact Bose Service, as they are the only ones that repair their systems:

BOSE:

For assistance with your product, please call us toll-free at 1-***-***-****. For help with our aviation headsets, call 1-***-***-****.

For the best possible service, please have your product nearby when you call. Hours of operation: Monday – Friday: 8:30 AM – 8 PM ET

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.