Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a vizio vsb200 sound bar. I am trying to hook up a…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a vizio...
Hi. I have a vizio vsb200 sound bar. I am trying to hook up a polk audio subwoofer to it. I have the sound bar wired and working with my tv. I have a coaxil cable running from the sub output on the sound bar to a coax splitter which is plugged into the subwoofer input. I am not getting a sound from the subwoofer. The sub works with my stereo.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
12/24/2017
Technician: Louie, Technician replied 6 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question.

Initially, re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the "...polk audio subwoofer..."

Okay.
Not going to mortgage the house. Thanks.

I understand.

Still ,perhaps you can try even if just for test purposes, bypass the "...coax splitter..."; i.e. connect the subwoofer directly to the soundbar's SUB OUT.

The splitter just lets me put the signal into both subwoofer inputs. It is a direct connection
How can i get the soundbar to put out s signal?

Test...

Disconnect the RCA plug from the soundbar's SUB OUT jack.

Turn on the subwoofer and adjust sub volume level if present.

Touch the tip only of the disconnected RCA plug.

There should be a thump/humming sound from the subwoofer.

Okay. When I touch the cable i unplugged from the bar the sub makes a humming sound
the cable is good and the splitter is making a direct connection to the sub from the bar, like i said earlier.

Thank you for bearing with me on these tests.

How is the soundbar connected to the TV please? ...using what kind of cable(s)?

Connected via optical (digital) cable
The sound bar puts out good sound when the tv is pn.

Have you tried connecting the soundbar to the TV using a pair of RCA-to-RCA cable? (depending on the TV model)

Or another audio source to the soundbar using INPUT 1 or INPUT 2 jacks?

No. Why would that make a difference? The sound bar puts out good sound when the tv is on. It just doesn't put out sny signal to the sub.

As part of the diagnosis and to determine the "why" hence these tests; digital, analog connection methods.

Perhaps another member can provide an alternate approach / second opinion to your concern.

The question would be re-posted as I would rather opt out.

Good luck with the soundbar/subwoofer.

Bye Louie. Sorry you lodt patience. I willl obviously not be giving you a good recomnendation, or psuong for any of this as you fsiled to give me any kind of answer, and i had to put up with the sydtem continuslly trying to rsise the price for "cobvenience".

Thank you for your kind understanding of automated-systems / machine-generated followups, ads and offers.