Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Which movie format is best on a USB hard drive? Apple iMac…

Customer Question
Which movie format is...

Which movie format is best on a USB hard drive?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand, model, and Operating System (OS) of your computer?

Apple iMac High Sierra

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your iMac?

Have not tried. Would *.mov or *.mp4 work ?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
12/14/2017
Technician: Jack, Technician replied 7 months ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hello
My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with this.
A few questions coming up and please note that there may be delays between replies if i have to gather various info .
If you seem to lose me refresh your browser (F5 key )
Please send me a hello so i know you can see my reply ?

Are you going to play it directly with your tv ?
If so , could you please give me the model number written on the tv`s back cover ?

The USB input is on a SONY DVD/BR Player.

OK then

It doesn`t really matter the format , they pretty much will all play with the same picture quality , what counts here is the format supported by your device and the file system used to format the drive , typically FAT or FAT32 and this can be found in the manual of your device so could you please give the model number of that DVD player ?

I`m quite sure that .MP4 will play and also .AVI by the way not sure about .MOV

DMP-BDT210

Give me a minute please

Right now i can tell you that the drive has to be formatted in FAT16 or FAT32 and you can also play a USB hard drive beside the USB key andSD card

But the manual does not mention anything about the video codec or format

Perhaps it plays them all ??

In any case , as i said , it will play the most popular format which is .MP4 and i`m sure of AVI as well , you will have to test the other formats

If that answers your questions for now then PLEASE DO TAKE THE TIME TO RATE (stars above and submit), it does not cost you anything more and does not close this post ,