Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an Onyko 609 showing message check sp wire. I have…

Customer Question
I have an Onyko...

I have an Onyko 609 showing message check sp wire

Technician's Assistant: What Onkyo model do you have?

I have tx609

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Onkyo system?

I have checked speakers pulled out connections waited for hours to reset it too

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

I have also checked it without speakers connected giving same problem the message comes in and immediately turns off the system

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
12/13/2017
Technician: Aric, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Aric, Engineer

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

"Check Spkr Wire" is an indicator that there are either ONE of the following issues occurring:

1) A blown or faulty speaker connected to the receiver (showing the Receiver's Speaker Outputs a Dead Short)- which you've ruled out
2)A speaker wire that is shorting against the chassis, or a bare end of wire touching an adjacent wire (The MOST common cause of this problem).
3) Faulty Output Transistors inside the receiver itself. These are the IC devices that directly Power and Drive the Speakers.Unplug the unit from AC power, and disconnect all of the speakers AND Speaker Wiring) from the back of the receiver. Upon plugging back in, press and hold the power button at the same time for 5-10 seconds to force a hard reset.

If the unit starts up normally start connecting the speaker AND WIRES one at a time (shutting the power down before connecting each one), until one of the speakers causes the "Check Spkr Wire" indicator to come on.
This speaker is faulty and would need to be replaced.If the unit shows "Check Spkr Wire" with NO speakers or WIRES at all connected, then it needs the output transistors replaced inside the unit. These directly drive the loudspeaker outputs on the receiver itself, and one or more of them being shorted (closed circuit), will trigger the error on the display of the receiver, and it will not go off until the problem is repaired.
They are not user-replaceable as they are PCB mounted, and thermally coupled to a heatsink. In this case, the unit is in need of service. Average cost for this type of repair is in the $200 range for this receiver, and MAY be more cost effective to replace it- versus repairing it.

However if you'd like to get another opinion, or are considering having it serviced, you can use the link below to locate a service center in your area:

http://www.stereorepair.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?