Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Denon avr1913 and just had the local cable compant…

Customer Question
Good morning! I have...

Good morning! I have a Denon avr1913 and just had the local cable compant hook it up with a cat 5 cable and audio worked but while programming my samsung bluray i got the Denon "stuck in a loop" wi r h "update retry" thrn after it hasvtried for 3 inues it says "connection failed25" and the receiver wont do a thing. I tried resetting the modem too

Technician's Assistant: Are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?

Ues there is one now and it shuts the receiver down and restarts it back in the "update retry"

Technician's Assistant: Which lights are colored and/or blinking on your router?

No lights are blinking

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
12/2/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Do you have a wired ethernet connection directly from the denon to the router?

I do have a direct ethernet connection but even if the slelcgor is on dvd or vcr it goes into retry update then connection failOE regardless of the ethernet connection, no matter what selection (dvd/vcr/game- any input) gets the same response. Is there a way to reset the avr 1913 ?

Yes there is, but when there is a stalled firmware update like this it can actually damage the receiver, so the reset may not be able to resolve it.

I understand you have ethernet, but want to confirm it is truly direct, straight from the denon to the router, not passed through any other switch, extender, access point, etc

Initially though we can try the reset,

disconnect the ethernet cable

power the denon off

press and hold the source select <> buttons on the front panel and keep holding while powering back on, until the display flashes, then release.

Thank you for your quick response. I tried the reset 2x but it keeps coming up with "update retry" for about 15 seconds then "connectionfailOE" and does that for every input source.
the ethernet cord went from modem to receiver but I've been trying the reset w/o internet connection
Okay now do the reset one more time then unplug power to the Denon for a few minutes. Replug and start back up for a minute. Then unplug power again, reconnect the Ethernet and replug power and turn on. Leave it alone for about 1/2hr so it can try to start up and download the update again.
Will do! Thank you
Do i reset with the 2nd and 3rd reset?
Did what you suggested and it keeps saying reset retry, attempts it and after 10 sec iy goes to "connectionfailOE"
It is now just staying on update retry, not shutting of

It looks like your firmware is bricked at this point,

the last thing to try is to bypass your router and repeat the process once more, going directly from the denon to your modem.

It is trying a lot longer time span before it now say s "connectionfail25" and powers down/off then turns back on trying to reset itself and is now the 4th x it shut off completely

That cycling is the concern here and indicates that the firmware is corrupted.

It is worth trying the process once more direct to the modem, but beyond that if it continues the main board is damaged by the bricked update and would have to be replaced.

Depending when it was purchased you may still be under warranty (2 years), but given that it is a 2013 model it is likely well past that. If it is under 2yrs, then Denon would repair it for you if you send it in to factory service in NJ. Beyond the warranty, it would cost more to fix than to buy a new one, and for a (likely) 5 year old model, it is at the end of its designed service life and about at the point where you would expect to need to replace it anyway.

Oh wow, I never knew they were so short lived �� i bought it at best buy and i think i bought an extended warranty. Thank you for all your help!

That would be good if you did as it should cover this, though they'd more likely replace it with a new/refurb model. You'll need to call the warranty service provider (usually assurion or warrantech), that info should be on the warranty brochure or your best buy receipt

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Nathan, Engineer